Hello everyone,

After quite some time, I finally convinced my wife to go and talk to her doctor. Even convincing her to do that was a challenge. She got home, she told me that the doctor thinks that she suffers from signs of postpartum depression and she didn't want to tell me anything else.

Other than our little daughter, my wife is everything to me. I want to help her but I seem to be horrible at it so far. I need help, obviously. Can anyone tell me is there anything I can do for her, how should I talk to her, anything, please, any information is useful.

This is something that happens quite often to new moms, Guest. It is also called "baby blues", this type of depression.

You can't do much about it, it all comes down to her if she wants to get better. You might want to stand aside and try not to do anything that could make things worse. This type of depression usually doesn't last for more than two weeks, if it lasts longer, then she should consider talking to a psychologist about it. It almost always lasts only for up to two weeks but there are cases when it turns into severe depression.

Hello Gaia,

She has been acting like this for about 10 days now. I hope that it won't last for more than two weeks, I've never seen her act like this and if you want me to be frank, I don't like it at all.

I don't know if my wife will agree to talk to one of these psychologists. She is not very much into it, we never needed them but we did talk about them because we had a friend who visited a psychologist and she didn't think about it in a good way at all, but I could try to persuade her.

Hey there. Unfortunately, having postpartum depression can affect marriage and it can result in a divorce. This is something that very often happens to ladies who gave a birth and sometimes they can't even deal with it, and I won't even mention if husband can deal with it or not. So, it is really hard to tell what to do in this case. I am not sure how you can help her because she can't control her emotions and the way she acts. You should let her know that you are here, you should help her as much as you can, especially with the baby. If you are at your job whole day for example, you should find someone to be with your wife while you are not at home.

Well, talking to the psychologist is the best way to deal with this, but if your wife is really refusing it, then I would recommend that you go and talk to the psychologist and see what does he have to say. He can give you some proper directions regarding how to behave in your current situation and what is the best way to help your wife. I am not sure if I can help you in any way, I know that the only thing that depressed people really want is someone to listen to them and someone to show them how they care about them.

Hello Guest,

Do you mind me asking about your lifestyle, are you generally following a healthy lifestyle and are you on a healthy diet? All of these things can help with depression, you know. If you can get your wife to exercise on a daily basis, if you can make her run once a day, if she can run with you, it would be even better, it would help her a lot with her depression (and help you as well, of course). These are just some lifestyle changes that could contribute to getting rid of depression, exercising helped a lot of people fight their condition.

My wife had this disorder as well and I was with her as much as I could. This lasted for six or seven months, I can't remember now. First, I was mad at her because she didn't pay me any attention, but soon I realized that she is having huge problem. I tried to talk to her but she refused me at the beginning. She refused to talk to me third, forth time and than she accepted to talk to me. She explained me how she feels, so we went to see the doctor immediately. He told us about this disorder and this type of depression and I realized that I need to be with her all the time. So I did. I believe that this is the reason why this depression stopped that fast.

That can be very serious for the wife if it is not treated on time. I agree that she should have constant support from her husband and from some doctor who is going to help her about this. I know that this can be problem because wife suffers, husbands suffers and they do so independent of one another. Wife does not pay attention on her husband anymore and that can be problem. 

It is important to understand that you can talk to wife in those occasions, all you need to do is to find a way to talk to your wife the right way. 

Hannah, you are totally right! My wife was refusing me whatever I tried to do to get close to her. But I was persistent because I saw that cause can be little more serious than I just could imagine. So I was really careful and I was getting close to her step by step. When I finally did it, she confessed me that she is feeling weird and that she doesn't know what is going on. The only reason why she is refusing me is because she is depressed. She told me that this started immediately after she gave a birth. That doesn't mean that she doesn't like our child, she just needed a space for herself. I was with her all the time. I wanted that she knows that she is not alone, because she was not alone.