Hi! I am a concerned husband. My wife is 4 months pregnant. I know it is a bit early to think about what happens after the baby is born but I heard some stories about postpartum depression and they really troubled me. My colleague’s wife suffered from it and he went through hell. She even tried to hurt the baby. So I basically want to know how often is postpartum depression in moms? What are the chances that my wife will have it too?

Hello! You need not be so much concerned. It is a very frequent disorder but usually it takes a mild form known as “baby blues”. If she was to suffer from it, your wife would get a bit moody and restless and that’s it. No one can really tell you how often the real thing occurs but I can give you some advice on how to lower the chances that it will occur to your wife. First of all you have to be very supportive of her along with her friends and family, you have to make sure that she feels as little stress as possible. Postpartum depression is not always immediate, it sometimes occurs a moth or two after the baby is born, especially if the baby is sick or colicky. So make sure that you and your wife share responsibilities. It is crucial that she sleeps and eats well and she will not be able to do that if she takes care of the baby all the time.

Basically all you said is true. I would just like to add that chances of suffering from postpartum depression are greater if you already had a history of depression or if your hormone levels change a lot. Also if you or someone in your family suffer from bipolar disorder also known as manic depression your chances of postpartum psychosis, which is the most severe form of postpartum depression, are also very big. So make sure that you report all prior states of depression to your doctor so that he can act in advance to prevent it from happening.