Good day everyone. I am writing this post because I hope that you can help me in resolving one of my biggest problems. My sister is really depressed and she can't be alone at all. We all need to be around her because we are scared that she will do some stupid thing to her if she is alone. Maybe we are wrong, but I hope that you understand us - we are scared. Well, my friend, she is a doctor, told me that according to some symptoms that she has she is dealing with postpartum depression and anxiety. I didn't notice any huge symptoms and that is why I need some help. I need you to tell me next thing - symptoms signs of postpartum depression and anxiety?

Enjoy! 

Hey there.

I mean, she is your sister and you are spending a lot of time with her - you told this by yourself, and you haven't noticed any symptom? I am sure, but why I just can't believe at this? OK, I understand, maybe you don't observe it that, but you should. After all, she is your sister and you are spending a lot of time with her.

Never mind, let's cut long story short. 

Here are some signs and symptoms of this:

• Mood swings
  • Anxiety during the day and nigh
  • Sadness with or without reason
  • Irritability
  • Feeling overwhelmed
  • Crying all the time for no reason
  • Appetite problems
  • Trouble sleeping.

Any of those symptoms your sister is dealing with? 

Hi Guest,

Look, the symptoms and signs of postpartum depression and anxiety are the same as for any other type of depression and anxiety. The one thing that is different is that this depression is connected to her baby. Postpartum depression is a type of depression which develops a few weeks after you gave birth to a child. If your sister gave birth to a child and she has symptoms of depression and anxiety, then she has postpartum depression and anxiety, as easy as that.

The good thing about this is that this type of depression shouldn't last for more than two or three weeks, if it endures, she should seek help.

OK, I understand that it is weird for you, but yes - I didn't notice any kind of symptoms at all. Now you are probably wondering how this depression manifested in her  - well, she was really sad all the time, she started to cry for no reason. That is all what I saw during this period. Mrs Sick and Tired, now when you mention this, I can see that one sign and symptom of postpartum depression and anxiety is sadness. Maybe that is it. I am trying to convince her to see her doctor, but I can't. She just doesn't want to listen to me and I don't know what to do. I do know that depression is something that you need to control...

Well, I also can't believe that you haven't notice more symptoms in your sister and you are keep telling us that you can't separate from her not even just one moment.

And that your friend, I understand that she is trying to help you, but she just can't tell you - OK, she is fighting against "that and that" kind of depression. That is impossible.

Some tests needs to be done and cause must be found. 

And you haven't answered on Nina's question - did your sister gave a birth? Because that is very important to know. That can cause that kind of the depression.

I am aware that she is trying to help me a lot about this, I am talking about my friend, but she can't do anything else or more for me and my sister because she just doesn't want to go to see the doctor. She refuses doing some tests or some analyses, claiming that she is OK and that there is nothing wrong with her.
Yes, I didn't answer on this question about pregnancy. She gave a birth almost two years ago. I don't believe that this depression is still present after she gave a birth to a baby? Or I am wrong?
What can I do to convince her to see the doctor?

This type of depression (postpartum depression) doesn't usually last for more than two weeks, Guest. If you are sure that she had this kind of depression and that it lasted for more than two weeks (in this case 2 years), she is supposed to visit her doctor asap.

Why would she wait for 2 years, I don't understand. And how come that she isn't noticing it? Depression is the easiest thing to notice in the world. Anyway, she needs to talk to her doctor and she definitely needs to talk to a psychologist. If she doesn't do that, she is going to keep being depressed.

Women suffering from postpartum depression and anxiety are extremely sensitive, it should be easy to notice. If they hear something that they don't like, you will notice an immediate change in their behavior and they will most probably start to avoid you. It is the same for normal types of depression and anxiety, except for the fact that this occurs after you have delivered.

If you seen someone depressed before, then you will know how this looks like because it is exactly the same. Be patient with your sister, and be a listener, she needs a listener right now and not a talker.

You can't help her if she won't admit that there is something wrong with her. If you don't think that something is wrong with you, then how can you treat something that you think is not there, am I right?

It is easy to notice these things in a person. They are nervous most of the time, you need to pay extra attention to how are you treating them, they have sudden mood changes, they are hard to get outside of the house, sometimes they won't go out for entire days, and they are not very sociable, they will prefer to stay alone.

Look, types of depression and anxiety in 99% don't differ from each other when it comes to their signs and symptoms. They only differ in what caused them and therefore, they also differ in the way you treat them.

If you have known a person for a long period of time, then you will easily notice if this person has become depressed or anxious over time. If this happens, you should always search online or ask someone to find out how to deal with someone who is suffering from depression or anxiety, in case that you don't already know this already, of course.