Hello, folks. My wife has been diagnosed with signs of postpartum depression and she has been seeing her psychiatrist for this. He recommended her taking some drugs. I wonder if she is allowed that since she is breastfeeding. Will this affect our little baby? I would really be grateful for all your replies. Thanks.

Hello to you too. It is a good question that you’ve asked. There are some drugs that are used in postpartum depression that are not affecting breastfeeding. Most of SSRIs are safe to use. The first medicine of choice is usually Zoloft. Many studies have been done with it. It is shown that it does not affect breast-fed babies. Some tricyclic antidepressants are also safe to use. You can also consult your wife’s psychiatrist for more details. Bye!

Hi, there. I think that your wife’s psychiatrist recommended her some safe drugs. He wouldn’t recommend her anything that can affect your baby. These drugs are usually taken for 6 months. I have also heard about SSRIs and their safety. You haven’t mentioned which medicine your wife was recommended. If you have any doubts, talk to a doctor. You can always ask for a second opinion. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck! Bye!