Hi, my sister is 34 years old. She is schizophrenic for a long time, and recently she started talking about devil and similar things. Is it a common thing that schizophrenia is related to religion?

Hi, I have a neighbor with schizophrenia related to religion. I often hear her screaming and yelling from her flat. She lives with her brother who looks after her. Once she ran out of her flat, convinced that there was a devil chasing her. Sometimes, she even has to be hospitalized when her condition worsens. It’s not easy to cope with schizophrenia related to religion, and it’s not easy for her brother to look after her. I admire him for the strength and love he manage to give her every single day. She already tried to kill herself once, and I’m afraid she could try again. She also has hallucinations, when she’s convinced that angel or a devil is standing in front of her and telling her what to do.

I too was convinced I was being harassed by the devil. I am also schizophrenic and have attempted to take my own life. I believe that many schizophrenic's delusions become religous because as children we were all taught to beware of the devil. I think this was something deep rooted in my subconcious and when the hallucinations came , my own fear helped develop the delusion. I am now recovering from schizophrenia, but found that no matter how much I prayed , nothing would take away the horrible symptoms besides prescribed medicine.
I pray now more often than ever, but try to restrict myself from viewing horror movies or hearing or seeing anything paranormal. I believe that everything negative we choose to take in, such as seeing horror movies and doing seances , becomes part of our collective unconcious. As an adult, it's emberassing to say I don't need to watch scary movies, but I believe it's part of keeping my mind free and clear of any fear that might develop itself into a hallucination or delusion.

Personally, I find this a huge subject.

I was diagnosed as schizophrenic over ten years ago. Subsequently, I have heard death threats for all that time. I was no saint growing up, but I don't believe I was a hardened criminal either. I suppose you could say I was just not very sensible, or clever, and enjoyed larking about.

Anyway... My life was turned totally upside down around 1994, when I had my first auditory hallucination. It was an American female saying "10-4, he's on drugs" whilst I bought some beer at a local off license.

Since then, I have been hearing random voices on a daily basis... Many of them not very pleasant. I personally find faith to be essential to my survival, and keeping me on the straight and narrow. Due to various other experiences I have had, I do firmly believe in God.

I find much solace in the love of caring people. If people didn't believe in trying to be good and trying to do the right thing, I would be dead a long time ago.

Schizophrenia is a miserable condition, and sufferers need to be cared for and supported, and not locked away on their own to exacerbate their nightmare.

Yes I believe it is related. My boyfriend is schizophrenic and he's always talking about the devil and about demons. He thinks that ghosts follow him into his house and he carries a bible everywhere he goes.

I suffer with alot of problems, I have been possessed maybe more than twice, Ive have nightmares of people who look like holograms or ghosts, and theres something else holding them there, theres somekind of white light spirit but it has red eyes or somthing, it was floating above my head. I also try my best to push any evil things away from a doorway or i say I condemn it from my life.

Ive recently discovered that im suffering a mild epileptic fit by my body twitching at the thought of anything evil present.

Ive been looking for ways in my mind by questioning these things. In a religious aspect im affirming that I have freewill to say No!. I Say No! to anything evil trying to Possess me, which these take plase between when im dreaming and when Im awake. Ive researched how the brain works at this level. It seems our brain operates at a Frequency of 7.83 htz that is the stage where we know we are dreaming and were able to control whats happening to us. This is also a Problem as When I used to have Nightmares in my childhood I easily forgot about them during the day and never thought of them again. But it when i acknowlage these nigtmares by thinking of them as anything more than an active imagination. Its my imagination that Kicks off these Fits im having. Its causes me to worry, I get angry at these Thoughts in my head and sometimes i try to ignore them. I have to say that when i Did not get involved with religion I payed less attention to these Things in my Imagination. Its when A religious aspect trys to answer whats happening to me that feed the problem. Ive decided to not involve myself in conspiracies in the world or religious things, I want to live my life in a good way without the Infuence of Religious ideas. Its More than possible for a Human being to Have Kindness and Respect for life without a religious belief influecing it.

I fear no evil, for this reason, I have actually fought and battled this evil thing in my dreams. I find Now, that I can Write an Imaginative story about How Im defeating this evil Thing. I Write about myself walking Through A Corridor of Glass in Heaven, At the end of this Corridor there is Darkness, this would be the start of the Problems, The Second Stage world to Fibd myself in that dark Place and hold A Sword of Penalties, A Silver Sword, There are many Evil things In This Darkness, But I Have the Ability to Destroy them. And I travel all over this dark place and defeat every one of them. If you tell yourself this Story over and Over Again, You will find that there is nothing out there, Its all Imagination and Those fears your creating Can be Defeated, Your not Ignoring these fears by forgetting about them, your realising that those fears are created by taking to much time concentrating on your imagination.

You could use anything similar to a story, a Story that you read over and over again, until you get bored with it and realise that its just you Over active imagination played by an Evolving Set of beliefs and Conspiracies.

This Has led me on the first stages of Recovering My own problems, so I thank anyone who reads this and confirms that Im Right.

We Human, Yes we are Built in a Complex Way, but We should live simple lives and not Complicate things.

Yes, the majority of schizophrenia and religious people go hand in hand. Most people believe demons, angels, the devil, and god are involved in their life. Such as "putting thoughts" into their mind, causing dreams, and etc. Try having a conversation with most religious people, their thoughts are all over the place. The few religious people that aren't like that, they mostly likey don't believe and attend religious events just for social and family reasons. Maybe that's how the root of religion was created by men that didn't know a lot about Earth and nature, so created some nice stories. As I little kid, I always wanted to see demons and etc. but it never happened. A few years back, I once intentionally filled my thoughts with demons and etc. at night and it became reality with days. When I stopped, those so called experiences don't happen, actually the so called experiences were in dream state, XD . The human mind can create many realities and "visions". Tell a religious person that, they will try to say "the devil's controlling you". I had this associate who claimed to be harassed by demons. When we were playing the game on the couch, we got mad at this demon for moving under the couch. I didn't feel anything at all. Most family members of mine say they hear spirits and start praying to God, the spirits calm down, sure. Glad I'm not schizo

what is wrong with people these days? how can anyone sit there and wonder why religion and schizophrenia go hand in hand? the answer is so obvious it's scarier than the devil or demons. the answer is they are the same thing, the only difference is that doctors which are a form of scientist, have made up a name for something they do not understand, therefore are afraid of. it is human nature to be scared of the unknown, so what do we do? we start investigating trying to understand and answer the who what when where and why questions. the fact that doctors still in 2010 do not know what caused this "disease" doesn't baffle those of you who think that God and religion as a whole is made up of nothing but stories? what if it's the other way around and "science" is what is made up of stories? why is it that people want to fight against something that promises no hurt no worry no fear and no pain after living on earth where there is nothing but that? schizophrenia is a BS disease and in my opinion a few other "mental disorders" are too. where is the line drawn that makes one person a religious person and the other a "crazy" person? i have read on here one person's statement or story stating i would think about devil and demons and would start having hallucinations, or something along those lines, with all do respect, duh. if you are involved with things like calling spirits or Ouija board's and things like it is very possible to start seeing things that you normally wouldn't it's playing with fire, and it's dangerous. I have seen first hand things like lights being turned off after asking for a sign, and a kid outside playing basketball along with the ball hitting the roof at the exact same moment as someone who was not involved in what we were doing was leaving seeing the kid one second then literally vanishing the next, not just by me but by multiple people including my friend at the time's father who wasn't in the same room. did we all suffer from a short episode of schizophrenia? yeah right. i find it humorous that people who do not believe in God or of Jesus or the bible still conform to laws set by "man" which are actually almost exact or slightly modified versions of the laws of the bible. to comment on one person's state ment that religious people will say just pray and the evil things will go away and his scoffs and snide remark at the end, i would like to let it be known that it isn't a matter of just praying, if you took the time to actually read the bible or paid attention when said religious people's "thoughts were all over the place" you might have heard the part about if you truely believe..... you cannot simply pray a prayer and expect results sorry it doesn't work that way and the bible does not teach that. would you do anything for someone who thought of you as nothing, as if you didn't exist hell no you wouldn't. so why do you expect someone you don't really think is there to do anything? you have to believe with all your heart all your soul and all your mind that there is a God and that Jesus was who he said he was and died so that you didn't have to suffer for all the BS you do in your life that is wrong, upon doing this and believing that what your asking will happen yes prayers are answered every day to millions of people. just because it's not always when we think it should be doesn't mean He's not real. Schizophrenia is man's way of not facing reality and i think it's sad that people are having to be hospitalized for seeing what other people don't. the world believes in evil but no God it makes absalutly no sense at all. my last statement or question is why do people like ghost hunters, who i happen to love, get there own t.v. show when they go out and try to catch people's "hallucinations" by definition when others are medicated and collect a "crazy check?

When I am ill, I suffer from religion related hallucinations and delusions.

My diagnosis is schizoaffective disorder, a combo of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

When I take my meds as prescribed I don't suffer from these symptoms at all and have a healthy religious/spiritual life free from bizarre or exaggerated religiosity.

All it took me was to have a good set of meds, a fine case manager, lots of loving and supportive family and friends, a good doctor and a balanced lifestyle to achieve this.

If I could do it, anyone can. You deserve this kind of balance in your life. Go fo it!

i had religion schizophrenia ...for thirteeen years ...but Truly God's visions and dealsing with are alot different then imaginary ...i escaped from a lot of what was going on with me ...but He said if i didn't get this right ...that i will have to face the worse kind of death ...spoken to me not only to me by my hearing but a prophet ...so pray for me.

More important than whether Religious delusions are tied in with schizophrenia is the matter of paragraph structure and punctuation.

Since I began suffering from God/Satan delusions last year (after being a Buddhist for four years prior and not believing in that stuff), I have gone to many online forums such as this one, looking for answers.

What I have discovered is the abhorrent lack of any kind of writing skills whatsoever amongst so-called "English speaking" people. So I suggest that you all brush up on your writing skills, because you are giving schizophrenics a bad name in the field of writing skills.

Thank you. And stuff.

In general these days, people think that truth is unidirectional, rather than bidirectional. Meaning complete truth is seen as not being the truth, and partial truth is seen as being the actual complete truth. 

Thus if you speak to God, you are not seen as being a delusional person. But  if you speak to God and claim that God has spoken back to you, then you are recognized as being a delusional person. Thus if the truth goes both ways, and is therefore bidirectional, you are wasting your time if you wish to speak of it to others, for they are living a partial reality only.

As an example, via a voice from elsewhere, a person was informed of information that was hidden within the bible. The hunt was on. Sure enough, what was said to be encoded within the bible, was encoded within the bible. Step by step this went on for years until a vast collection had accumulated.

The Schizophrenics imaginary God had managed to place both proof of his existence, and proof of Jesus Christ's existence within the Bible, and did so in such a clever encoded manner.

To see an introduction to the first of these Codes, go to

***post is edited by moderator *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Click on the flashing words "Watch / Listen", and let the webpage take you on a webpage tour of such proof.

yes, all religious people have schizophrenia , look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_schizophrenia

cant believe you just said that "i m glad im not a sczo" im very pleased ur not sczopherenic i wouldnt wish this horrific illness on anyone. I got diagnosed at 15 i am now 31. Im suprised i made it to 31.

I have just read your post and I could not have said it better. God bless you.