I spoke to my mom yesterday and she told me that we have a hereditary disease run in our family. My grandmother and my great-grandmother both had it. Fortunately, my mom hasn’t inherited it yet, but she is still having regular check ups. The disease is called polycystic kidney disease and I remember my granny always having troubles with her back. My mom said that I should start checking my kidneys as well. I am interested in the symptoms of this disease besides the back pain, so I can recognize it if it develops. Thank you

People with polycystic kidney disease a.k.a PKD experience blood in the urine, suffer from recurrent kidney infections, and usually develop high blood pressure. Unfortunately, there is no cure for PKD. Relief is achieved by controlling the symptoms. PKD can also spread to other organs like liver, pancreas, ovaries, spleen and brain.