My mother is 63 years old and she entered menopause relatively late. She started forgetting things at the beginning of menopause. That was followed with headaches. We went to a doctor and he told us that she suffers from a classic female dementia. I am not familiar at all with that term. Is senile dementia similar to female dementia?

Perhaps he was referring to senile dementia – Alzheimer’s disease. And the point is, it often happens to women more then to men, and perhaps that’s why it is sometimes known as female dementia. It happens after menopause and possible cause is accumulated of certain substances in the brain which causes brain tissue damage and that lead to all symptoms you have mentioned.

As estrogen decreases, so does mental acuity and bone density. I am beginning to think I should take estrogen until I'm 70 as did my mother who is a very strong 94 with smooth skin.

find a doctor who can advise you about this-- get your mom back on estrogen.