Hi, guys. I have recently heard something on the television about cerebral atrophy. I am very interested in finding out what that is. Perhaps, someone here could help me. That is why I came here to find out something more. All your information will be more than welcomed. Thanks in advance, guys!

Hello, there. I would define cerebral atrophy as a condition that is a consequence of various diseases that affects brain. It can affect the whole brain or it can be focal – it affects only a part of the brain. When we talk about the tissue, it is a loss of neurons and of connections between them. Many diseases can cause atrophy. Some of them are: stroke, brain trauma, Alzheimer’s disease, Pick’s disease, senile dementia, Huntington’s disease, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, etc. The main symptom is dementia. It is defined like impairment of memory and intellectual skills. Another symptoms are seizures in various forms. Aphasias are a group of symptoms where problems occur like speaking or language understanding. I hope I’ve given you the answers you were looking for.