My grandma had a stroke and now she also has vascular dementia. She isn’t ok. I can’t recognize her. She totally changed her personality and sometimes she can not recognize me. My mother told me that her brain is damaged and that there is no cure for that. Does vascular dementia makes your brain shrink?

Well, you need to know that the stroke may damage brain very much. Vascular dementia is one of the main consequences of the stroke. You mother has right, there is no cure for dementia but you can do something to prevent more strokes. It’s very usual to have few strokes one after another.

Hi there,
You have to understand that vascular dementia is very serious condition which doesn’t have treatment. It can be controlled with medication but most cases are severe as your grandmother’s condition is. You have to understand that this affects her memory and it changes her a lot. It isn’t strange that she doesn’t recognize your that she is changed that you are seeing a another person. Also providing care for a person with dementia is physically and emotionally demanding. This will not be easy task for your family and you need to give as much support to your grandmother. I am not sure if her brain shrinks but only it gets damaged from stroke or injury.
Best wishes,
Marco