Hi! I’ve just heard that my grandma have dementia. Exactly it’s frontal lobe dementia. I didn’t know anything about this disease until now. I know that it can be very dangerous. My parents and I are worried now and we don’t know what to expect. Is progress of frontal lobe dementia fast?

Well, frontal lobe dementia is caused in a similar way to Alzheimer's disease in that it involves a progressive decline in a person's mental abilities over a number of years. As you probably know, frontal lobe dementia, like all types of dementia, shortens life expectancy. The rate of progression is variable.

The problem with frontal lobe dementia is that parts of these lobes tend to atrophy and shrink. Thing is that symptoms may vary from person to person. The progression of the disease is implicated by the portion of the brain affected. You have to know that there is a possibility that your grandma will become socially inappropriate and emotionally indifferent because of this disorder. How old is your grandma? I know that this disorder affects people between 40 and 70 years of age. Is she using any kind of treatment right now? It can be very stressful to cope with this kind of disorder and she will have a hard time to fight this condition.

I hope this helped a bit.

My mother,age 85,also has frontal lobe dementia.I suspect that this has been going on for quite some time.With her cold personality and lack of empathy for anyone but herself,it is hard to tell if it's the disease,or her being so nasty.