My father has some strange symptoms, he has just retired recently. Everything was ok until that (he said that he retired because he started forgetting things). Everyone though he was just tired, but things became worse and the doctor said that he is suffering from senile dementia. What does senile dementia mean?

That is a condition that happens often after 60 years of age. The main cause for this condition is not known yet. Dementia develops gradually and problems in speaking and memory happen. I have to say that there is no cure, only some medications that help with the symptoms and up to some level, slow down the progression. But that is all.

First of all I am so sorry that your father has been diagnosed with this condition. I can relate to you because my aunt is suffering from senile dementia and as the condition is getting worse we have more and more trouble with controlling her and make her to drink her medications.

There are some things you can do to slow down the progression of the dementia and to reduce the symptoms (and believe me they can be very nasty sometimes for example one time she has forget how to get home from the grocery store so she was lost for hours). You can train together with your father because exercising can be very beneficial and it will help in reducing some symptoms.