Hello, my father suffers from Alzheimer’s dementia. I have to admit that it was hard for me to watch the person that raised me loosing all of its memories. Anyway, since this might be hereditary illness, I would like to know if young person could suffer from early onset dementia.

Unfortunately, I will have to disappoint you a little. Dementia might happen earlier, in 50’s, 40’s, sometimes even 30’s. But the good thing is that the percentage of people younger than 65 getting affected by this illness is mush lesser than percentage of older people. Still, there are some tests that could show if you have anything to worry about yourself.

Hi there,
How young person are you talking about? If you are referring to your father you have to specify his age in numbers. You have to understand that early onset of dementia is very rare. In most cases dementia starts to happen after the age of 65. However early onset of dementia can be noticed even in thirties and forties. You have to know that this is really rare but many cases of early onset of dementia are noticed in fifties. The fact is that this runs in the family so there is a chance that you might have this condition in your life as well. So it is important to have brain check every now and then.

All the best,
Danella