My grandfather is 83 years old. We never thought that he will ever be sick or ill, but, unfortunately that happened. It is not a standard disease, where you go to bed, take medicaments and get better. He is not himself anymore. He stated forgetting things; sometimes he cannot even add two simple numbers. Could it be senile dementia? My friends mentioned me that, one of them had similar problems with his mother. So, is it senile dementia or not?

It most probably is. Senile dementia affects people older than 65 years. Its causes are numerous. Vascular illnesses, brain infarct, brain ischemia, artery sclerosis and many others could activate senile dementia. Things that you mentioned are typical symptoms of this condition. This also happened to my grandfather; I was just a little kid, but I do remember how my mother was upset with entire situation. It sure is hard to watch your parent lose touch with reality in that way.