My friend's lawyer was prescribed Seroquel 100mg to treat his insomnia. Schizophrenics are normally prescribed higher doses, such as 800mg or 900mg. At a low dose, like 100mg, Seroquel has little effect as an antipsychotic and can be used safely as a sleeping aid. It has worked perfectly well as a sleeping aid for this lawyer. "Guest" is right: "These people aren't qualified to help you, don't listen to them".

Seroquel is an anti-psychotic, but is effective for treatment of anxiety. It also is effective for use to relieve anxiety. It can, however, cause weight gain.

Seroquel does have the effect of increasing appetite in most patients. This increased appetite can be counteracted by also prescribing Trazodone 100mg, which reduces this side effect of Seroquel when taken in combination.

Seroquel 100 mg does work as a sleeping pill. I know, because I take it every night. Even though it is meant for bi-polar disorder or other mental disorders it can help a person sleep.

Honestly I think many people who say things don't work is bc they want to be on addicting meds hence the result of addiction. Also if you said you can't sleep "bc my brain won't stop thinking" then this is a medication that will likely benefit you. I say "you" as a general statement. The lawyer point is very valid bc I imagine being a lawyer is very stressful and anxiety provoking, thus reasons to take this medicine. Xoxo

Aloha. I am new to this website and I just want to say Aloha to everyone. I too have just been told by doctors to seroquel 100mg and another drug caled Keppra which is supposed to help the massive jerks I get all day, they say from the chemo I am recieving, but I cant really tell if it works. I have tried almost all the other sleep aids out there and have had no luck. I am mostly worried about gaining weight since I just gained 20 lbs from all the steroids with the chemo. I have one round left and was hoping to then  diet but it sounds like seroquel isnt going to make it easy to lose weight. Can someone who has taken it tell me if the weight gain is really that bad or if there has been any bad side effects from this med. Thanks

I've taken Seroquel for sleep, 100 mg. for as long as I can remember. It is an anti psychotic med., but can be used for sleep since the side effects of the drug are drowsiness. I sleep like a baby and am not groggy in the morning. I am thin and have never gained weight due to this med. I have seen a friend of mine take Seroquel in high doses, around 800mg for mental illness, and gained about 20 lbs. This drug has done wonders for me and it is not a narcotic, not habit forming.

I'm not all that interested in addictive meds - but the Seroquel prescribed for sleep for me works only part of the time, so I would say it depends on the person. I'm going to continue it for awhile, because I'm a really rough patch in my life, and i need to sleep, but frankly, it's a little disconcerting to be on even really small doses of something that's prescribed as an anti-psychotic.

If you have a chronic sleep disorder, seroquel is a very effective and non-addictive medication. Unlike other sleep aids a person doesn't build up a tolerance to the medication. Yes, it is anti-psychotic, but for those cases, doses start at 600 mg. Many people don't feel good about what the medications original use is and may feel a stigma attached to it.
Many medications have multiple uses. What is important is if the medication works.

if it gets you to sleep it is narcotic :)

You are wrong.  seroquel is not a narcotic and it is non-habit forming.  I take it for sleep, dose is small, 50 mg. It works! I sleep!

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS NEARLY 10 YEARS AGO AND WHAT I WOULD HAVE GIVEN FOR SOME SLEEP. I WAS GOING SLOWLY INSANE. TRIED EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN AND IF 1 WAS GOOD 2 WERE BETTER, RIGHT? LONG STORY SHORT I HURT MY POOR LIVER WITH TOO MUCH VALERIAN ROOT, BE CAREFUL WITH IT FOLKS!

Prescribed for sleep, my guess would be you have a very small dose such as 50 mg xr. This would be considered an off-label prescription use for the drug and is common enough in the medical world for doctors to do. For example, I take topomax as a mood stabalizer for my bipolar. Topomax is an anti-seizure medicine. It is also approved to treat migraines. Using it to stabalize moods for bipolar is an off-label use, yet my psychiatrist does it anyway and with my seroquel (higher dose than yours, I am sure) it is working for its off-label, prescribed purpose. Was this prescribed by a general practitioner or psychiatrist? I would be more prone to trust the decision of a psychiatrist.

Thanx, I will do just that

Wise wise wise