Hi, I am 31 year old, and I am planning to start a family any time now. I am getting a bit paranoid when I hear stories about disorders that can happen even before the baby is born. I heard that SIDS is the most common one. Is there a way to prevent it?

Hello. Yes it is possible to prevent SIDS. SIDS is the leading cause of death among infants aged over one to four months. Baby, who dies from SIDS, usually has some kind of brain disorder, so the brain doesn’t know how to react to simple respiratory changes. Smoking during pregnancy, increases risk of SIDS. Eliminating the smoking – you have prevented SIDS by 50 %. Babies who sleep on their stomachs are more susceptible to SIDS. So, the parents should turn the baby to the back. With proper nutrition you are lowering the risk even more.

You can also buy a mat that goes in the cot under the sheets that sounds an alarm if it detects the baby has stopped breathing.

joslyn...lowering the risk is NOT the same as prevention. Your first sentence is not only wrong, it is dangerous.

I Just came across this post and had to ad my 2 cent's worth, even tho it's dated. If a baby losses it's life to SID's, there is little to nothing a parent can do to prevent it. I ahve 2 friend's who lost their little one's to Crib death and neither one of them did a thing wrong while pregnant. No smoking, no alcohol, perfect diet and excercise, vitamin's...you name it. It is just something that happen's and tho it is a tradgedy, nothing can prevent it. A child is suseptable to SID's until they are a year old or better. My friend put her son to bed one night and checked on him before they went to bed for the nite, he didn't cry at 7 a.m. like he normally did. He had passed away at some point after midnite, as he was fine at that time. They were devestated and heartbroken, the baby was 13 month's old.