What are the tests for nicotine and how long does it take to clear your system after 42 years of smoking?

There are various tests for presence of substances that nicotine leaves in our body - from hair, urine to blood tests (these can detect this substance - Cotinin even after a year after quitting smoking but are most expensive). I think there is even a swab test that detects if someone has smoked in last few days. But, your question about how long does it take to leave the system after 42 years... it really got me curious so I searched and searched... and all I can offer you as a guide (applicable even to people who stop smoking in their 60ties). From Wikipedia:
  • Within 20 minutes after quitting, blood pressure and heart rate decrease
  • Within 12 hours, carbon monoxide levels in the blood decrease to normal
  • Within 3 months, circulation and lung function improve
  • Within 9 months, there are decreases in cough and shortness of breath
  • Within 1 year, the risk of coronary heart disease is cut in half
  • Within 5 years, the risk of stroke falls to the same as a non-smoker, and the risks of many cancers (mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix) decrease significantly
  • Within 10 years, the risk of dying from lung cancer is cut in half, and the risks of larynx and pancreas cancers decrease
  • Within 15 years, the risk of coronary heart disease drops to the level of a non-smoker
So, I hope I helped you at least a little bit.