I am desperate! My 11 month old baby basically naps very little and sleeps when he decides it is time, and also wakes when he feels like it. Sometimes that happens to be at 4 am, when he thinks it is funny to start throwing stuff out of his crib, and he simply won't go back to sleep. Did you have any success with a bedtime routine for your baby? Did that keep him asleep all night long? How do you do it?

I am not sure if there is a definite connection between a bedtime routine, as in a certain ritual every evening followed by bed time at the same time each night, and the baby staying asleep all night long. Some babies do, others simply don't. What helped me a lot is having a crib in our bedroom, and having baby sleep there. That way, when he would wake up, I could hear him before he even knew he was awake, pat him some, and normally he would continue sleeping. If not, I would quietly nurse him back to sleep and place him back in his crib. Perhaps you could try that?