I have a 3 month old baby and i'm a smoker. I DO NOT by any means smoke around her. I go outside to smoke. But i was wondering if somehow that can still harm her... I was doing research on bed-sharing and it says if your a smoker it increases the risk of SIDS... why is that? If i'm not smoking around her, how can that still harm her?

Even though you don't smoke around her you are carrying the chemicals (and the smell) on your clothes, hair, and body. Second hand smoke is just as dangerous. There are some studies that show it affects the brainstem, which regulates breathing.

This triggers apnea, stopping of breathing.

To add to medic-dan's information, even though my condition is not related to pregnancy, but to GI disorder, the last specialist warned me that its even more dangerous for me to be exposed to second hand smoke, than if I smoked a cigarette a day, so that kind of gives you the picture how much impact the chemicals from smoke that do stick around you could be potentially harmful.

And to follow up to Nikols, it's not just the smoke from when you exhale that can be an issue.

Your skin is your bodies largest organ. The chemicals you inhale are excreted via the skin, your lungs, your urine, etc.