Hello! Even though it is very hard talking about it, I need help anyway. My daughter is a heroin addict. She tried to get off a couple of times but would always fail. This is eating me alive as I am not able to help her. I do my best, to be supportive but I stopped giving her money when I realized she was on heroin. Another problem has occurred. She became pregnant. I can’t even think who the father is, but still I do care about that little creature. Can you tell me a little bit about mothers addicts, and what effect this will have on the baby.

This is very hard situation you have found yourself into. Heroin abuse during pregnancy can lead to miscarriage and premature delivery. Children that are born to addicted mothers are at greater risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), as well. Heroin addicts should not be detoxified from opiates but treated with methadone instead. However, infants born to mothers taking prescribed methadone may show signs of physical dependence but that can be treated. Abstains from heroin during pregnancy (which is highly unlikely) can also have a negative effect on the developing baby, since heroin abstinence in pregnancy (especially in the third trimester) causes decreased blood supply to the fetus. Methadone will reduce drug hunger and craving and block the euphoric effects of illicit opioids.