I’ve heard that you should not put blankets on a new born baby? I live in Canada and its quite cold here in the winters!!! I’m really afraid that the baby will not be warm enough!!!

Hi flatten - yes, you’ve heard well. In order to prevent SIDS, you should put a baby in their crib, on their back and WITH NO blankets. I believe there are few of reasons for this: first of all baby should never be over heated (don’t worry for cold winters – it is healthy to sleep in coldish room), second - blankets can pose a possible suffocation hazard. Fortunately, there are many companies that make "sleep sacks", which you can but for your baby. They will keep the baby warm, but they also have armholes so that they don't overheat. Many safety experts also advise to stay away from bumper pads because they can prevent the circulation of air around the baby. Hope this helps

Well, I live in California and here we do put blankets on them. I know about the asphixiation issue and SIDS, but babies don't even roll over as newborns. I believe you would definitely need one in Canada when taking your baby outdoors. As for the going to bed thing using a light receiving blanket doesn't seem so bad to.
Am I the only one who does this? Because here in California, I know I certainly am not!!!

With our first baby we tried the swaddling but for some reason he hated it and we had to abandon that plan. Afterwards, he was OK. We were quite lucky because he was born in spring when it is quite warm so we did not have to think about blankets at that time. When winter came he was old enough for the blanket – he had no trouble with it.

Whel, if you believe that your baby is gong to be cold and have no other way to keep it warm other than blanket you can try to lay the blanket sideways in the crib, lay the baby on the blanket and tuck the other side under the baby making sure the arms were free and the blanket is nowhere near the babies face. I'm from Canada too, and I know about the cold – be sure to buy warm blanket sleepers for the baby.

Hi flaten, I live in Canada as well and have 2 children. I used blankets with both. Canadian winters are cccccoooollldd and I had to use them!! I did just as described in previous post – it worked for me too.. Hope this helps. Fellow Canadian