hi everyone
i am in a very seriouse relationship that i know for a fact is going to the next level do to his slip of the mouth lol well we always talk about haveing kids and i am a very family oriented person and i want a large family.. my question is he is in methadone treatment and has been for a year now so what can that do to my chances of conceiving and what can it do to the unborn child i have tryed looking every where for answer i don't want to make a child suffer if it is cgoing to cause seriouse helth problems for the child while inside me or out.. please help me >>
trueheartedlover

Influence of drug exposure of the father on perinatal outcome.Joffe JM.
Initial skepticism that paternally administered drugs could damage the developing fetus has given way to concern that lead, narcotics, ethanol, anticonvulsants, anesthetic gases, caffeine, or cigarette smoke ingested at the time of conception might damage sperm or sperm motility or have indirect effects resulting in an increase in neonatal morbidity and mortality.

PMID: 383363 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Chronic methadone administration to male rats: tolerance to adverse effects on sires and their progeny.Soyka LF, Joffe JM, Peterson JM, Smith SM.
Previous studies have shown that acute administration of methadone to male rats prior to mating results in adverse effects on their progeny, particularly decreased birth weights and increased neonatal mortality. Rather than chronic administration accentuating these effects, results of the present study indicate that tolerance developed so that no adverse effects were found in offspring sired after 21--32 days of methadone administration. In the sire, maintenance of normal weights of accessory sex glands after 4 months of daily methadone suggests that tolerance developed to the CNS effect(s) responsible for the depressed serum LH and testosterone levels found after acute administration of narcotics. In contrast, tolerance did not develop to the inhibition of weight gain produced by methadone administration. No evidence for a dominant lethal effect could be found after chronic methadone administration, in contrast to suggestive evidence for this effect found in previous experiments after acute methadone administration.

Here is the website link to where I got this information from. I hope this has helped you out.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=733826&itool=iconabstr&query_hl=8&itool=pubmed_docsum

hey i just wanted to say thanks for what you have given me i will look more into it..

I have been on methadone for 2 yrs.

my wife and i have 3 mo. little girl. born 7/12 on time.

sweetest, healthiest baby ever.

that's just one case in humans, not lab rats.

hope that helps :-)

I was on methadone for 3 years. During which time my wife and I had two children. 1st was a boy, 2nd was a girl. both full term and healthy, 16 months apart. Absolutly no problems.

My husband and I have two girls both while he was on methadone treatment so... You should be fine!!! Matter of fact my second child was a week overdue LOL but both were healthy.

Wanted to add to the list - I'm a male on 20-30mg / day for pain and had a healthy boy a few months ago.  I gather the main impact methadone can have is a reduction in testosterone production, which reduces sperm count and motility.

Ive heard it depends on the MG's their on. I heard as long as its inder 80mgs the little swimmers are still soldiers... Anything over that their drunken staggering monkeys! My husband & I have been trying for a baby since we lost ours 3 days before Christmas 2years ago. Hes on 120mgs of Methadone. He wasnt on methadone when we conceived the last time. He was mowed over by a car on a bicycle a few years back&is prescribed methadone for pain management. So, him going down or off the medicine just wont be happening ANYTIME soon! :-( I do wish we could grow our family though! Everything happens in his perfect timing, so Im trying to be patient!