Hi, folks. I am using Astemizole for my allergic rhinitis. I usually take it in early spring. However, this time I got pregnant and I am not sure whether I could continue with this. Is Astemizole safe to eat in pregnancy? I would appreciate all your replies. Thanks in advance. Bye!

Hi. Astemizole is an antihistamine that belongs to H1 blocker group. It is non-sedating antihistamine. It only blocks H1 peripheral receptor, while it is not capable for reaching those receptors in the mother’s brain. On the other hand, it is unknown whether its transfer is blocked by fetal blood-brain barrier. There were some studies on the animals, but there were not enough human studies to give a final conclusion. H1 antihistamines are believed not to have some major teratogenic effects. Astemizole has a long half-life of elimination from the organism. Four months are necessary for a complete elimination from the body. For pregnant women with allergic rhinitis, experts recommend cromolyn or beclomethasone. I hope I’ve helped.