dmso and pregnancy - is it safe???

I would also like to know this

Hi there,

In the over 50 studies that I read on DMSO not one study showed any toxicity whatsoever for it's usage. Anyone who says otherwise is conjuring and spreading myth.

DMSO supports and repairs all bodily tissues, up-regulates nutrients and detoxes the body. A doctor will tell a pregnant mother than a poisonous flu shot is 'safe' but will turn around and say to avoid DMSO in pregnancy which is completely absurd logic.

A main hesitation would be the general health of the mother as DMSO detoxes the body, crosses the blood brain barrier and chelates heavy metals. I would suggest to move toxins around a mothers body whilst she is pregnant is not really the best idea and detox is generally discouraged in pregnancy, however we really do not have any proof positive of it's benefits or dangers one way or another. Every story I have read for use in pregnant animals late term has no negative effect and in some cases even saved the pregnancy. Clearly more study in this area is warranted.

For any such use to be considered the mother's liver and kidneys should be working well (they are not experiencing any asthma or skin problems like acne, eczema or psoriasis which indicates a sluggish liver) and the dose of the DMSO should be very low. It will cross the placenta so the baby will get some of it. We must remember this is not a toxin and the body is very brilliant.

If it were my pregnancy or with nursing I would use one half dropper full every other day or so and only as needed for pain but only if it was very necessary and in late pregnancy, however I would pay attention in breast feeding to see if the milk flavour was impacted, the child may not like that change and be put off the milk.

So as with many natural medicines it is not a general yes or no answer and it instead needs to be assessed on a case by case basis with logic, knowledge and reason intact.

I hope that answered your question.

Best in health,
Amandha Vollmer BSc, Naturopath

As a biologist with a PhD in toxicology (who also happens to be 28 weeks pregnant) I am a bit shocked to read that people actually consume DMSO for detox! If you look into Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) of DMSO you will find info like this:

"Potential Acute Health Effects:
Slightly hazardous in case of inhalation (lung irritant). Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion.

Potential Chronic Health Effects:
Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, sensitizer, permeator), of ingestion. CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for mammalian somatic cells. Mutagenic for bacteria and/or yeast.
TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available.

The substance may be toxic to blood, kidneys, liver, mucous membranes, skin, eyes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage."

Obviously, it all depends on the dose, so if you ingest small amounts of DMSO, you might not ever experience one of these effects (hopefully!). But thinking it will detoxify your body seems far fetched in my mind. If you feel better, I would think it is due to a Placebo effect.

Please be safe!
Christine Kleinert, PhD

."As a biologist with a PhD in toxicology (who also happens to be 28 weeks pregnant)"... another psuedo scientist....."Obviously, it all depends on the dose, so if you ingest small amounts of DMSO, you might not ever experience one of these effects (hopefully!). But thinking it will detoxify your body seems far fetched in my mind. If you feel better, I would think it is due to a Placebo effect"..... based on????....ohhhhhh your OPINION those pesky facts