I took tramadol for over two years at around 150 mg.  I did my research and knew to make sure I didnt increase the dose over time.  I tapered down to 50mg a day and then stopped.  Some symptoms I had were extreme fatigue, restless leg syndrome, diarrhea, cold sweats, and chills through out the day and night.  It took about five sleepless nights for the symptoms to stop.  My advice for dealing with the symptoms is to workout as much as your body will let you during the day and to take some form of a sleep aid at night (unisom is what i used).  Another aid was to stay as hydrated as I possibly could since my body temperature was in the 101's for the entire withdraw.  I hope this helps anyone who can relate or is thinking about stopping tramadol.

It's been 14 nights and 15 days since I stopped Tramadol. It does get better and contrary to my last post I do think a sleep aid can be beneficial. I believe sleep is a critical part of allowing your brain and body to recondition. I have taken Trazadone the past three nights, and though the sleep isn't like natural sleep, it is better than no sleep. I recommend Trazadone because it is light and non-addictive--doesn't seem to rewire your nervous system like other sleep medications and has been around since the 50s. I must add that the Trazadone really was no match for the insomnia in the beginning, my head would get drowsy but my electrified body and anxious mind would prevail, after 12 days of withdrawal it seem to work better and I will be attempting rest without it in the coming days. I hope everyone out here struggling with the transition off Tramadol is doing okay. There were definitely times in the past 14 days that I felt sure the damage was permanent, that I was going to be an anxious depressed insomniac for the rest of my life, even worse, at times I thought I had always been this way, and that my entire life was one big unmanageable disaster. I just want to be clear that none of these feelings I was having are true in any sense--it was a product of the withdrawal--this is obvious to you all I'm sure, but it's a great thing to declare over and over to yourself. For me, about 6 days and the worst of the worst was over and now I see freedom coming closer, the freedom of metal stability, inner strength and sleep. There are ups and downs during withdrawal as you begin to balance out your internal chemistry. Hang in there and try to be patient, your body is working hard.. Please take good care everyone, and thank you all for posting, your insights have helped me so much through this process. 

It looks like people are still on this forum..

Just letting people know that I was on between 200-300mg tramadol for 5 years for Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Anyway, 10 days ago I decided to quit Tramadol. Naturally I realise that everyone is different, but with a little bit of preparation it is not hard at all... (this even does really make me question just how addictive tramadol is?)

Anyway, for days 1,2,3 I dropped my dosage to no more than 100mg per day - little withdrawal symptoms - sleep not affected

Day 4 - First day I had no Tramadol...all OK until the evening. I used a codeine tables (60mg) and 0.5mg of Clonazepam which pretty much got rid of any withdrawals

Day 5 and 6 - pretty much the same...(I think day 5 was the worse and I used 1mg of Clonazepam)

Day 7 and 8 - I used Kratom capsules to block out any withdrawal symptoms.

A few things to note:

- The whole time I was on vitamins called "Nutrilite Double X" - They're awesome!
- If it wasn't for the Clonazepam I wouldn't of been able to get through Days 4,5,6 - It was a lifesaver.
  I recommend Clonazepam rather than Alprazolam (Xanax) of Diazepam (Valium) for 2 reasons: Clonazepam has a 50 hour half life and it doesn't wreck your motor skills like Xanax will (i.e: you can still function)
- Kratom also saved me in the last few days - I totally underrated this stuff. It gives you an "opiate like" high therefore it blocks out your Tramadol withdrawals

The week before I decided to discontinue the Tramadol usage I read a lot on the Internet and was preparing for the worse. Fortunately the worse never came. I hope people can have the same luck.. If you can get hold of Clonazepam (which can be hard) - don't use it longer than a week - otherwise you'll be on another forum that talks about Clonazepam withdrawals :)

All the best

Sorry to tell ya Its just as bad or even worse I tryed to withdraw twice been on it= 4= a year and a half and cant kick it ,,you feel like you will sh*t your pants and sweat and cant sleep and sneeze like crazy .you cant not eat drink coffie and do all the fun stuff you like haveing euphria its bad untill your on it dont compare it..Im not being mean but I ran out 4 1 day this past week and the withdraw came I felt like I was gonna die no lie..

Weed.  Isn't it strange that people will take crazy drugs as long as they are from a doctor. If the law says it's ok then it must be right? The cannabis plant has soooo many health benefits including helping people off opiates but because it's illegal and not in a capsule from a pharmacy people are scared of it. they gamble with drugs created by the science community which once said cigarettes were good for you.

I wished to God I'd never let the doc give me that first prescription for Tramadol.  I have been on it for 6 years now and have tried to quit cold turkey several different times and could not get past day 2...it was that bad.  I've been addicted to oxycontin, vicodin, percocet, etc., but the withdrawals from those are nothing like what I've endured with Tramadol withdrawals.  Now I'm trying to wean off them inspite of the fact I have a kidney stone and cyst on my right ovary.  I hate these pills, they are worse than any opiate I've ever dealt with and have caused unmanageability in my life just as much as the opiates did. The only difference is I'm not all f***** up from the narcotic ingredient like I would be with opiates, which to me is even worse because I'm well aware of the mess my life has become from Tramadol as opposed to not remembering things when addicted to opiates.  This pill absolutely needs to be classified as a narcotic.  It saddens me to think of the hundreds of thousands of others who are addicted and trying to get off them but don't get much help from doctors because the docs view it as non-narcotic so therefore it shouldn't cause withdrawal.

What a mess in this country and around the world this drug has made of our societies!

Its been a while, hope everyone is doing ok.  I am on day 2 of no tramadol and feeling ok.  If you are able to taper down I strongly recommend it. After taking anwhere from 10 to 15 50mg pills a day for 4 years I went to 4 50 mg pills a day for a week, then 3 a day for a week, then 2 a day for a week then 1 a day for 2 weeks.  I was feeling a little rough last night but today I feel almost normal.  I did have a hard time sleeping last night and have been sneezing like crazy.  There are also times when I have a "rushing" feeling and sound in my head but that is better too.  I have the chills a lot and my stomach is upset on and off but after preparing myself for the worst I am pleasantly surprised.  Exercise really does help when I start feeling bad, caffeine has also helped.  I have tried to go cold turkey before and it is horrible and unbearable.  Tapering is much better and less risky.   I just want to assure everyone that even at its worst it gets better and it is possible to kick this!  2 months ago I couldn't have imagined not taking these pills and didn't want to.  Now I am so happy and excited about my life with out them!  I go back to the doctor today to make sure my blood pressure is ok and let her know how I'm feeling.  I know I've said this before  but she did tell me that they are working on making tramadol a controlled substance.  I still don't think she realizes what it does to people but at least they are starting to come around.  This is a nasty little drug, I hope others out there can stay strong and get off of it. 

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread.  I have many years of experience with opiate withdrawal and decided that I would share my experience to help others as well as myself, as I am completing my second Tramadol Withdrawal right now.  So, the question of the thread:  Is Tramadawal Hard?  Absolutely.  Like others on here, I have gone through withdrawal of hydrocodone, codeine, and worst of all suboxone.....then there is my experience with Tramadol.  I was on a cruise last December that stopped in Belieze.  There are pharmacies everywhere that you can basically purchase anything you want without a script.  Since I thought that Tramadol was a mild narcotic or as some docs thing, not one at all, my addict brain told me that taking it would not be a problem.  Not True.  After I got home, I started purchasing it off the internet.  I received a batch that was fake and in 2 days was in fulll blown withdrawal after taking over 400mg per day.  NOT FUN!  I had severe stomach trouble for 3 days, aches, and the restless legs and anxiety was the worst of all.  I complainted to the internet pharmacy.......they sent me more.  I should have thrown it away, but after two weeks off, I started taking it again and eventually my doctor prescribed me some for some back trouble.  Then I started purchasing more from the web.  Now move ahead about a year and I decided that enough was enough and started to taper.  I highly recommend a taper to anyone coming off Tramadol, it does prolong the time to getting off totally, but makes the jump much easier.  It has been two weeks without any and I feel fairly normal with the exception of extreme anxiety.  The past two days have been better and I have had some valium to help with it, but that is not the answer either because it only masks it for a day or so.  When I came off suboxone, I experienced what I would describe and a very high state of body stimulation to anything, which is anxiety.  I have been experiencing the same thing now and originally thought it was an effect of stopping the valium (I took valium during the taper to help with symptoms).  While some of the anxiety may be caused from the valium, I know that stopping the Tramadol is also causing this. 

So, I will continue down the path of being clean.  After getting off the suboxone in 2009, I was completely clean for 13 months.  I have dealt with addiction for over 20 years.  Now the message is quite clear, I am an addict and I cannot take anything without taking it in excess.   I know this, but addiction is very strong and one is truely powerless.  I will continue to share my progress and am happy to answer any other posts or questions one may have as well.  Just know that getting drug free is possible and you will survive.  I am in therapy as well.  I highly recommend therapy or a support group to help keep one clean.  When I work a program, I stay clean. 

Thanks for letting me share.

Incorrect, due to tramadol's effect on serotonin release, once tramadol is discontinued, your body needs to remember how to regulate serotonin release. This causes extreme anxiety, restlessness, confusion, "blurry vision/reality", and overall pain.

Tramadol's withdrawal effects are considered to be 10x more painful than Hydrocodone/Oxycodone/Morphine/Darvon/other Full Narcotics.

On average, narcotic withdrawal lasts 3-6 days, tramadol withdrawal lasts 2-4 weeks.

You can do it, just keep looking at the end result! It's bad, no need to sugar coat it, but it can/will be done!

Just to speak up about Tramadol and withdrawal symptoms.  Was prescribed Tramadol last year after a lengthy problem with degenerative back disease and slipped/bulging discs in my mid and lower back.  I took the medication as prescribed, approximately 100 to 150 mg a day (2/3 pills).  After a year and physical therapy, my back is better and I can manage without pain.  However, Tramadol is addictive contrary to what I was told.  In any case, my motivation to quit really came from an inability to emotionally connect with my kids as I used to.  The anti-depressant and anti-anxiety parts of the drug were taking the "edges" off of my personality and it showed.  I tapered off a quarter of a pill at a time for a few days and then quit.  I am a stubborn old dude after all.

You can expect big time flu-like symptoms like others have suggested.  Also, sweating, chills, anxiety, phantom pain, breathing effects, and for me, there was a burning sensation (similar to what it feels like when your leg or arm goes to sleep and then you move it).  I think others refer to this as shocks or zaps.  The "burn" lasted for 4 days with day 2 being an absolute panacea of the worst symptoms.

Bottom line:  If you do not need this medicine to prevent pain or you can get by without it, then my best advice is to get off of it.  Please talk to your doctor, of course.  After day 4 you will be able to manage it better.  Keep busy, drink caffeine beverages, and remind yourself of the progress you are making in hours if you have to.  You'll probably need day 2 and 3 free from work or other activities.  You'll likely not be able to manage much on those days.

You will feel better, just grunt through it in your own way.  Good luck to you.

Well I've been pill free for a little over a week and a half.  I still have a little trouble sleeping but can manage with melatonin or a mucle relaxer.  The worst part by far has been stomach/diahrea problems.  I also still sneeze like crazy.  I'm not completely back to my old self yet but I do think the worst is behind me and now things are managable. I wish I had never started these drugs but am so thankful to be off of them.  Its a very good feeling knowing I don't have to worry about when I will get my refill or or how many I have left.  Thanks to everyone for their posts and information.  One thing for sure, I would not have been able to do this without the support of my fiance, a friend of mine and reading others struggles with this drug.  It is so important to have that support. 

I was addicted to Vicodin, Percocet, Oxy' s, lines of heroin from time to time and any other opiates i could get my hands on. Most was "doctor shopping", some forged scripts. Anyone with an addiction problems would understand WHEN YOU NEED IT, YOU FIND A WAY TO GET IT. I checked into rehab twice on my own and failed the first time. Then I only made it 2 days clean the 2nd time because I found the "magic pill" Tramadol.
What happened was I had gone to another doctor after that 2nd stint in rehab to try to "score" any opiate that I could get, and I was disappointed that's all I could get out of him was "Tramadol".
5 years years later, even with family support and resources I can not quit this. I have tried and tried and never made it to 48hrs. It has taken up all of my life, all my time, and all my money. The withdrawals are SO bad, that I always have a back up bottle just in case I lose my purse or something like that. I thought I was in Heaven when I realized that you could order it online... but what I really entered was Hell. I'm up to 35 pills a day. I never use to be like this, and i never imagined ME being the way I am right now.
And still... in all that being said...I can NOT stop. THAT'S HOW HARD IT IS. I know I've turned into a piece of sh*t, I know that it ruined and still ruining my life, I know that I'm damaging my liver, and I even know that THIS IS WHAT'S GOING TO KILL ME most likely sooner then later...and I still can't stop. DON'T EVER THINK THAT THIS "MAGIC PILL" Tramadol CAN'T DESTROY YOUR LIFE. I HAVE TURNED INTO A "NOTHING".

It is such a horrible pill and I can relate to what you are going though! No I never took 35 pills a day but there were easily days that I took 20. I found out you could buy them on line when I was out of the pills my doctor gave me. I was looking around on line for support to stop taking them and I read where someone said they got them online and I checked into it and couldn't believe my luck. Well, two years later and a lot of money gone I am now off these horrible little pills. I didn't think I could do it and actually didn't want to do it. I was very content with my addiction and happy with how it made me feel. One day I just realized I couldn't do it anymore and I tried to cold turkey it. Didn't work so I went to my doctor for help. Is it still hard? yes. but anything is possible if you are determined. Try starting out by skimming off one pill a day, even getting your dosage down a bit is a big triumph. I remember getting down to 4 a day and thinking that I couldn't believe it because there was a time when I would have never thought that was possible. Just remember that you are not alone, there are people that are going through what you're going through and people that want to help!!! Please post again and let us know how you are.

. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I can tell you from personal experience that withdrawal from Tramadol lasts for about 5 days so don’t let anyone break your will by talking about weeks and months. My advice is to go cold turkey, if you try to cut down you prolong the suffering and go through a lot of Minnie withdrawals followed by a major one when you stop the last dose and it takes for ever, it is something to do with the half-life of Tramadol that makes it a difficult drug to taper off. You will disrupt your life more if you try to taper down and in my view suffer more in the long run. Many people have spoken about the indescribable feeling of depression and anxiety during withdrawal, the one word I have read in a post that sums it up for me is a disgusting feeling that takes you to a place where human beings should not go. I have come off this rubbish 4 or 5 times and my peek dose each time has been 400mg that’s 8caps over a couple of years each time (oddly that’s the recommended maximum dose), you don’t need to know why I relapse but I now attend narcotics anonymous and I haven’t got a history with other opiates, so don’t mess with this stuff. I cannot speak for others but by far the worst part of withdrawal for me is the depression and the desperate feeling of edginess if that’s the right word to describe it that goes on and on over the 5 days, the insomnia is bad but I seem to be able to cat nap but the world seems a hostile place in the small hours of the morning coming off this stuff after vivid crazy dreams and the alternating feelings of hot and cold can sap your resolve If you are not strong. Do not underestimate the symptoms of coming off this stuff, nights are not fun. Choose a time when you have a week free and have someone with you who is not judgmental who you can talk to in the darkest times if you feel like talking, I find I need to drink a lot in the night so have a big glass next to the bed. Hot baths are good and is one of the few things I feel like doing as apathy is a problem when your brain doesn’t feel like doing much. You will be preoccupied with the edginess to the exclusion of everything else. I lost two stone on Tramadol so I get my appetite back even in withdrawal so thankfully eating isn’t a problem in fact I could eat for England. I don’t get any nausea or Diarrhoea but I do get my libido back so that’s a plus. If you can get a week’s supply of sleeping tables I would take them at least for the first four nights but have never bothered myself. The one thing you need in buckets is will power and resolve. I find reading posts on Tramadol withdrawal helps as you know you’re not alone. There is another way of coming off but it entails the use of another opiate all be it a mild one but it will wipe out most of the symptoms it’s called Kratom and is legal in the UK you can get it on line but it tastes like sh*t. The reason I didn’t take it this time is because I want to remember how bad it was so I don’t go back but if you got addicted through your doctor I would definitely go that way. You can get it for fifteen quid for 50 grams next day delivery, one supplier has the Green Malay as their flagship Kratom and in my view the best, take a couple of tea spoons full with orange juice if you can get it down your neck when the withdrawal starts, the 50 grams should be enough to get you over the worst. I cannot sing the praises of Kratom enough for coming off Tramadol if you want little or no pain. The reason I mentioned the earlier stuff is because I know some people, how can I put it, “straight people” sorry! might not like the idea of swapping one drug for another legal or not but it’s up to you which way you go. The advantage of the Kratom withdrawal is if you have to go to work or look after kids you might even get away with that too. You will not get addicted to Kratom in five days so will come off the tramadol seamlessly. Sounds too good to be true? Well I can promise you if you are going through withdrawal and you take a spoon of Kratom I can guarantee you will take another spoon when the withdrawal kicks in again. Good luck to you all.

I've used Tramadol for over 6 years related to severe Colitis - it was the only medication that I could take that I thought would make me feel normal.  I used Tramadol after having my Gallbladder removed and the addiction after a week was very real and very brutal.  But here I can now, tired of relying on a bottle to keep me what I think is "normal" - so I flushed them and now I am (48) hours post tramadol.  The multiple addictions I have had to both pain precriptions and illegal substances does not compare to what I feel now.  Using Ibuprofen and alternating with Tylenol I am still running a fever >103, I cannot keep warm or I sweat profusely.  My legs have yet to stop moving or aching - walking helped the first (24) hours, and by walking I mean involuntarily moving for over (2) hours and walking a distance of more than (3) miles.  Yet, I still could not stop my legs from moving throughout the night.  My thought process is completely inadequate, sitting in my office at work on day (1) was brutal, trying to keep a smile on my face to my co-workers but running to the bathroom to either vomit or diarrhea.  So far today, I have had more than (12) bouts with Diarrhea and have vomitted more than (3) times.  Let's put this in perspective, a (6) year addiction which put me taking more than (120) pills in two days then wonder if I had a problem?

Good luck to anyone who can do this, I'm doing my best to keep tramadol-free and find myself once again.  I rather have to deal with pain then frantically search empty pill bottles for my next dosage.