Hi - I am a male in my mid 20's
Ive got to taking 2mg of Xanax (generic) a day and 2 x 50 mg of Tramadol about 6 pm every evening. I sleep well (even though I get up a little earlier than usual).
I've also noticed Ive lost a bit of weight - I like to go to the gym but find it difficult to build muscle so ideally don't want to lose too much weight.
Any advice here would be welcome. When I first started the Xanax I had headaches but these seemed to have cleared now. I also drink some grapefruit juice with the Xanax. Do any of you guys think I would have any issues in combining the 2 (they seem to work very well). Is it possible that they are negating the effects of each other. I try not to miss out using the Xanax - but can't say I notice when I do - (its happened twice now).
I've been using both for about a month now.
Also - any tips in not loosing too much muscle (not that I started out with too much would also be really appreciated). My diet is relatively healthy with vitamin supplements (but I do have a sweet tooth)!

thanks
Mark

I take both of these medications. Both work well. I take tramadol for back pain and xanax for panic disorder. A word of bigtime caution. Never drink grapefruit juice when you are taking xanax. It is very dangerous. I don't know exactly why, but you prescription bottle should have said something about not drinking grapefruit juice on this medicine. Combining the 2 seem to work fine, although you may feel a bit more tired. Be careful with both of these meds. Both are addicting, especially the Xanax. I have been taking Xanax for six months and it has helped me tremedously, but always have a doctor taper you off this medicine if you need to get off of it. The same goes for the tramadol. It is a non-opiate painkiller that works on your opiate receptors (strange). Not as strong as hydrocodone but works alright. Just be careful with these meds, but I find them very useful, esp. the xanax which is a very good drug for people that have severe anxiety disorder or panic attacks. These meds will not effect your workouts or your muscle gain/loss. That is up to you and just do your routine to keep in shape. Hope this helps

To elaborate and clarify:

It is true that you should not consume grapefruit or grapefruit products with Xanax. Grapefruit’s culprit chemical does not interact directly with your pills. Instead, it binds to an enzyme in your intestinal tract known as CYP3A4, which reduces the absorption of certain medications. When grapefruit juice blocks the enzyme, it’s easier for the medication to pass from your gut to your bloodstream. Blood levels will rise faster and higher than normal, and in some cases the abnormally high levels can be dangerous.

The previous poster was incorrect when he said tramadol is a non-opiate painkiller. Tramadol is a synthetic opiate.

Some controversy exists regarding the dependence liability of tramadol. Tramadol is an opioid with a lower risk of opioid dependence than that of traditional opioids.

Studies into the dependence liability of tramadol show that patients are no more likely to abuse the drug than normal NSAIDs. Despite these claims, it is apparent in community practice that dependence to this agent may occur, but in higher doses and long-term usage. However, this dependence liability is considered relatively low by health authorities. Tramadol is not currently scheduled by the U.S. DEA, unlike other opioid analgesics.

Nevertheless, the prescribing information for Ultram warns that tramadol "may induce psychological and physical dependence of the morphine-type". In addition, there are widespread reports by consumers of extremely difficult withdrawal experiences including acute depression and suicidal urges.

grapefruit juice increases the absorption rate of opiates by a supposide 20-30% not sure if thats accurate but agree that it does signifigantly increase the buzz if your not taking them all the time,, if you are, then your tolerance levels might negate this effect... I dont know about xanax or other benzos'' they are opiates so i would assume same applies.. but never tried it,,

I am currently detoxing from 6 yrs on Norco (hydrocodone or "vicodin"). This is my first attempt and I am doing fine so far (48 hrs) but hear the next few days will be the worst. I am taking Tramadol 50mg, 4-6/day, and have some xanies in the cabinet that I may take tomorrow if things get rough. I have been told BOTH stories by pharmacists/ doctors that Trams are/ are not opioids. But I called Walgreens last night about mixing Trams with Ambien and the pharmacist told me it would be fine, however, that Ambien is a narcotic which i did not know and he said it would negate my detox from the Norco. I was told to use benedryl. Furthermore, I asked if the Trams are narcotic, and he said No. So it seems that Trams may/ may not be opioids but are NON-NARCOTIC, So the dependancy should be much lower than Vicodin. I do know about how u are NOT to take xanax (or a host of other rx) with grapefruit juice, and u should look for swelling of the ears as a first symptom of adverse reaction. Wish me luck!

For a while i had an infinite access to oxycontin (and niwthout the APAP sheet) legally, I mean like for at least 2 months, i would take em in a high dose, how high? yeha like 2 of those brown oxy's and then same red ones (so you get the idea) and so because i did that for almost everyday for months, i thought i would have problem when it ended, not one problem, yes i missed the recreational part of it, but no physical or psychological withdrawal, and then i found this miracle pill called tramadol, much cheaper , easier to access, and it has alot of ssri effect, meaning it completely makes you (or in my case me) depression free, not just that, it made me happy, it made me productive, all of that during the day and not night, because it wouldn't give me that silly high look people get when they do oxys, you are simply back to being a happy person.

The problem begins when, you start to increase the dose, and use it everyday, which is almost impossible not to, because it felt like it was a pill for happyness. as if someone had taken out all the negative, the frustration, the 'no up to it" thing, and thrown it all way.

I felt no withdrawal from oxy, and high doses of it too, but without tramadol, I'm miserable without it, it's the fight of a life.

Look i totally get using these drugs for recreational use, but just remember and try to not up the dose, i've found out lately that the only real thing that you get from increasing tramadol, is that your body bonds with it so fast, so i've taken 6 pills and felt that feel good effect, other days i took 16 all at once and i didn't feel as good.

So just time it, don't increase it, try to not use it on a daily bases.

and by all means, try and see if your doctor would exchange your xanax for clonazepam, because the seizures risks with tramadol, clonazepam acts better fighting agaisnt it.

Good luck to you, please try and don't jump the gun, i did and been twice to the ER just this year because of seizure that started cause i took way too many tramadols, in a short time, I'm in my lower 30's, and before this, i had never been to an ER for anything in my life, other than the time i was born.

PS if you wondering the amount i took that made me wake up in an ambulance with EMT's, i had taken about 1 GRAM (yes your reading right) of tramadol in the morning, and then 1.4 GRAMS again at the end of the afternoon. but my body biult up resistance for using it for like 4 months, please don't do something like that.

benzos are not opiates, and i dont think grapefruit juice has anything to do with opiates. just benzos (which aren't opiates)

actually, tramadol is not an opiate... like you said, it's a synthetic opiate. meaning it isn't actually an opiate. get your facts straight before you contradict yourself.

There is not a big difference. Synthetic Quazi whatever. It IS an opiate with opiate effects. If you have a high tolerance to opiates then you just wont feel them as much. You will however feel the stimulating effects of Tram. It works well for detox, atleast from Sub from swim.

I would not give advice concerning mixing Xanax and Tramadol but do not take any medication with grapefruit juice as it increases the affect of the medication.

my dr.tells me the reason for the NO grapefruit juice is because the juice cancels out your medication. I am on blood pressure meds and my bottle says the same about the grapefruit juice.

The chemicals in grapefruit juice that inhibit enzyme intestinal cytochrome P450 and isoform CYP3A4, furanocoumarin derivatives, do in fact have an effect on the metabolization of opiates. Consuming grapefruit juice before some opiates also results in higher blood plasma concentrations of the consumed opiate, as with alprazolam, though it is debatable whether any real potentiation occurs.

I called my pharmacist and asked about interactions of the two. He said it's fine to take the prescribed amount.

Hi Mark. To put on muscle, try a protein shake after you work out 1 to 2 scoops of protein powder blended with frozen fruit, yogurt and skim or almond milk

That worked for me using the protein powder after my workout. I have noticeable muscle in the arms now