Hydrocodone/Oxycodone (about 10mg 4 times a day) for 6 entire years...decided to STOP because went to the hospital in desperation and all they gave was Tramadol.  Been taking the Tramadol, but still feeling pretty bad. Is the Tramadol basically "getting me through" the withdrawal from the hydro/oxy or is it just "replacing" it? Only have 20 Tramadol pills, so addiction to those will not be an issue. Just want to know if maybe after those are gone, will the hydro/oxy withdrawals already be behind me? I really hope someone says yes to that, but somehow I doubt it :( I am not familiar with Tramadol and everything I read either states that it is NOT like opiates or that it IS just like opiates lol which is why I decided to ask for sure. I hope this makes sense to someone. If I do not take the Tramadol, there is no way on earth I could function through "coming down" off the other ones (I have 5 little kids and no help), so I was hoping that the 20 pills would just kind of make it an easier transition??? I am the last person anyone would suspect has a problem and I am so disappointed in myself, but I will make it through this and be better for it.

i have been on oxycontin 20 mg 2X/ day for 2 years due to severe chronic back pain, then switched to oxycodone 10 mg 3X/ day on jan.14th.  i am pre-op for a spinal fusion, and the pain management doc wants me to self wean off the oxycodone.  well... i dropped to 10 mg 2X/ day.  i have 29 pills left.

she gave me tramadol 50-100 mg 4X/ day.  just started taking it, and it is so sedating!  it helps the pain, too.

i know from researching it is a synthetic narcotic, much lighter than oxycodone.  i am hoping it is helpful at the end of my detox.  the PM said i should use it along with the oxycodone, and that it would be a great help in getting off.  i want to approach her to give me scored tablets of percocet (which is essentially the eqivalent of half a 10 mgm. oxycodone), so i can break them to make smaller doses.  my plan is to drop to 15 mgm. for 3 days, then 10 mgm. for 3 days.  7.5 to 5 mom.  and sit there for about 5 days.  from there i can drop to 2.5 mgm and sit there, too-  using the tramadol to help.

i've done quite a bit of reading, and tramadol will help the taper process.  use motrin and immodium for bone aches and diarrhea, and benadryl for sleep.  i am not a doctor, but was a nurse before becoming disable and that's what we used to treat our opiate w/d patients.  do't minimize the motrin!  it can really help.

best of luck to both of us!  think positively, and be good to yourself...

princess680

I know it has been three months since you posted this but I had to reply because I'm going through the samething now. I'm day three (52 hours in) I was taking anywhere from 6 to 12 hydrocodone 10/325s a day since the end of September. A few months before that I went through Oxy withdrawal cold turkey and let me tell you what that is hell!!! Anyway I was taking anywhere from 6 to 12 hydrocodone 10/325s a day since the end of September, on Friday at 6 am I took my last dose and when it was time for next dose I took two tramadol, four immodium and a xanax. I still had a little bit of ibs and some cold/hot sweats mainly freezing though. Day one and two my lower back hurt a little bit but I started this when I started my period so the symptoms would pretty much match so for me it would more or less be a mind over matter type thing. Last night was a little rough I took a super hot bath to warm up and sweat a little and that helped A LOT!!!! Took 2 xanax and 1 tramadol to sleep, still didn't go to sleep til about 2 am but I woke up at seven this morning and felt pretty damn good! I took a xanax and four more immodium, no tramadol and so far so good. Day 3 is always supposed to be the hardest and it certainly was when I withdrew from Oxy but I'm feeling great actually normal, I've been staying busy cleaning the house and stuff like that. Tomorrow I plan to stop taking the immodium and then the next day start tapering the xanax and I have substitute for it that non addictive so I can just switch and not have any withdrawal from that, like twitching or seizures or anything. I have heard people say day four is worse but I have been though hydro withdrawal before I just didn't know that's what it was because I wasn't dependent on it, I'm not an addict, that much i know because I hate taking them, I'm pyhsically dependent and I was scared to death of the same kind of withdrawal as I got from the Oxy's but back to the previous withdrawals they only lasted a couple days and like I said I didn't even really notice just thought I caught a bug. I've sneezed a lot, my eyes are feeling alittle weird but I have about a half a bottle left and no desire to take them. It actually gives me a sick feeling if the thought crosses my mind!!! Basically everyone is different and everyone reacts differently but I totally think that the tramadol, xanax and immodium have helped me through this time!!!! Like I said by the end of the week I'm hoping I'm not swallowing anything even OTC stuff. I do feel a little nauseas in the morning when I wake up but I have always felt that way my whole life except when I was on the pills, lol. I'll take the nausea and grab something light to eat before I pop another damn pill!!!! Hope you had success and I hope I keep up mine. I have a wonderfully supportive soulmate who has been through this and other serious drug withdrawals and he is amazingly supportive during this. We've been inlove since we were kids almost twenty five years and it helps. So find someone to talk to who knows what your going through!!! Just writing this is helping me ;-) Many Blessings