I am 17 and I got the Depo-provera injection at the beginning of Febuary 06. It is now the beginning of July and I am STILL on my period. I have had a few days in this space of time where my period had stopped but it started again within 24 hours. I don't know how much more I can take. I have a boyfriend whom I've been with since January 2005 and I am never in the mood to do anything sexual. This has obviously caused alot of arguments and things arent getting any better. I am down, depressed and I am always tired.

I have been to see the nurse twice and I haven't really gotten any advice other than to wait it out. I really feel like i need to talk to someone who has been through something similar. I feel like theres something wrong with me and i don't know what to do. Has anyone here been through anything similar? If so, do you have any advice?

Thank you x

You've been on your period for 5 months and the nurse told you to wait it out o.O that's very odd.

You should go to a doctor because thats not normal. It's most likely the method of birth control you're using...maybe you should look into something else.

I had my period for 2 months before but that was because I was anemic.

You should get that checked out.

I've made an appointment with the doctor on Monday, so hopefully she'll be able to help. Thank you for the advice. x

Yeah I agree, you should definitely go see your doctor. Last year that same thing happened to me and mine was for about 5 months. I'd have it and then it would stop for a day or two then come back again. check to see if you're anemic. If you're not you should have an ultra sound. that's what my doctor had me do. I ended up having a small *noncancerous* tumor in my ovary. It was fine. they just need to put me on birth control pills to shrink down the tumor and regulate the bleeding.

i had the same thing too..but i stoped gettin the shot nd myperiod still went on 4ever! it was horrible im never commin back to it

ladies ladies ladies.....

The depo shot (one of my personal favorites). Girls either love it..or hate it...why? because once u get it ur committed to it.

very! normal to get a completly messed up cycle when your on it. your getting a 3 month dosage of it. my ex had a period for like 2 months on it.. normal normal. after like 3 treatments you stop having period all together..

watch out for calcium deficiecny..

Hey I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one. I am having the exact same problem. I won't get my period for about 4 or 5 months, then all of a sudden it shows up and lasts for multiple months (2 months so far this time) and I have no idea why. I went to the doctor last time and they gave me a prescription for 1 month of birth control to stop the bleeding and they did some blood tests. The birth control stopped the bleeding almost right away and the blood tests came back negative except for anemia. Then I didn't have my period again for 5 months and now I've been on it for nearly 2. I'm sure the anemia is flaring up again because I'm ALWAYS so tired. I am having the exact same problem with my b/f as well. I feel NO sexual urges which is unusual for me and he thinks its because I'm not into him anymore. I can't go to the doctor again because little did I know last time, that I wasn't covered under my parent's insurance anymore and I have $660 racked up in blood test charges. I'm a college student with little money to spend on bills, let alone expensive doctor bills. I'm taking iron pills and hoping it goes away. I'm kind of scared that something is going to happen to me because I live alone and no one is in this area to check on me. So I know my advice doesn't help, but just know you're not alone. best of luck!

you should really get that checked out cuz dats not normal and u better hurry cuz you might be losing a lot of blood but i really don't know cuz it might not be dat serious but good luck if u go see the doctor

I can totally relate to everyone here. Ive been on my period for like 2 months and it sucks. I have a boyfriend that I really like and we want to get sexual and I havnt gotten any for over 6 months because of my menstral cycle. It just makes me so frustraited not knowing when its going to stop.. its very minor and light and sometimes brown but my mom(who is a doctor) says to just wait it out because its just a "half period" and will stop soon.. It started when I stopped taking my birth control.. I stopped because when I would have sex I would bleed on the guy and it was super embarissing and I had had enough so I quit taking it and now Ive been on my effen period for 2 months.. it sucks so much and I dont know what to do to stop it. I thought I was the only one because I told my friends and they said the longest theyve had it was just a couple weeks.. not months. im glad to know theres other people out there.. but pissed that im stil on my period! Life of a girl deffinatly sucks!

Hi there, it looks like you posted this a really long time ago and I'm very curious to hear how you're doing and what the ultimate result was. Can you tell me how you're doing now? Thanks!

im so glad to hear im not the only one!! i got my depo when i was on my period on july 1st my period stopped for 2 weeks then came back and i've been on it ever since. i havent went back to get my depo cuz im trying to have a baby. but i cant f**k of this damn bleeding. i have a appointment in a few weeks but i just want it to stop now. let me know how things went for you.

I am exactly like the post from a guest a few up from me!

I started having problems with my period at age 21. I would have VERY heavy and painful periods that would last 2 weeks or more. Then as the years have gone by (no children either, never been able to make one), I am 33 now and still having period problems. I am now going on my 3rd month straight of my period. I would skip 4 or 5 months then bleed for 2-3 months. It is the most horrible stressing problem anyone could ever have. You have to constantly buy box after box of pads and tampons, you have to worry about leaks all the time. When I sleep I have to get up and sprint to the bathroom to make it to the toilet before bleeding down my legs (which I have before many many times.) Your sex life is basicly zero and its very hard on my husband and he gets angry with me sometimes but then apoligizes. I know its hard on him also. I sit and cry in my bedroom sometimes because I am SO tired of bleeding and changing pads and tampons day after day after day... the boxes just pile up!! I am on my 4th box of super plus (the biggest they make) 18 pack in 2 months and 2nd pack of super long pads.
I have went to so many doctors and even a few ER visits because the bleeding got SO BAD I could not stop it for more than 10 min with tampon and pad!! I got the ER one time and I was laying on the table while the gyno was checking me out and I bled out all over the table and onto the floor! She did panic and called more people in to help.. and of course I cryed like crazy and I remember the doctor telling me, " You poor girl, I am so sorry."
They told me I had a huge thick lining building up inside of me or the months I had no period and when it finally sheds its lots of blood and clots and will be very heavy. She told me one why to stop this would be to get pregnant... well I never have been able to and I have been having unprotected sex with my husband for 12 years! (not pulling out either) So, the other suggestion was birth control pills to control the bleeding... ha.. tried it a few times but it does not help much at all. Another suggestion was to get a DNC done or if that dosent fix the period problem then a partial hysterectomy would.
I found out my aunt had this same problem with her periods and she never had kids and she had to get a hysterectomy also.
OH, I am also anemic and I have Hypothyroidism and currently taking meds for both.

I'am currently going through this too, and soo frustrated with it!!! I have been on my period now for almost 3 months!!! I'm only 22 and this has NEVER happened before! I have never had kids, but my periods were always messed up. I was on the depo shot before but that was only one shot. I'am on my 6th pack of overnight pads, and 2nd box of super plus tampons! I don't have any pain, but did when I first started. I bleed VERY heavy with HUGE clots for a day or two, and then it will get so light to just almost spotting, and some days a brownish tinge. It has not stopped for more than a few hours. I went to the doctor about it and he didn't seem to concerned at all! He ordered blood tests to see how my blood levels are, but hasn't called me back, it's been over 3 weeks now since! He mentioned a mirena but I don't even know what that is! So I made another appointment with a different doctor for the 20th of this month. My girlfriend and I are very frustrated with it because our love life is totally shot. I would love to know what's going on with me, this is really starting to scare me. I feel like there is something horribly wrong. :-( Would greatly appreciate some advice!

im 17 and i have been having my period for almost a whole month now..but its just like coming out lite and spotting a brown color im really scared im going to the doctors in like two days and im freaking out..i feel tired and drained alot lately i sleep in till like 3pm.and still tired im not exactly sure whats wrong with me i hope it stops bleeding cause i think imma die if i dont..i hope the doctor fixes it..omg ughh

Hey, me again, I went to another doctor about this because I'am STILL BLEEDING! Now I have to get a blood test on monday to see how my blood levels are doing, and then an ultrasound to see the inside of my abdomen, and then I have to get a endometrial biopsy done to figure out why this is still happening to me!...This is my 3rd blood test in the past month and a half, with all my bleeding and them still wanting to take blood I'm gonna be pretty dried out lol I will re-post my results in a couple of weeks!