[can a torn muscle (latissimus dorsi) cause pain not only in back, but also in rib cage area?

yes it does. I currently have a torn lattisimus dorsi and because of the onsertion, I have pain in my bak near the 12 th rib. Because of this tear and strain all of the intercostal muscles in the rib cage are swollen and hurt. You may experience some shoulder weakness. It takes a long time to heal. It has been 5 months now and I am off work and out of the gym. You can see an orthopedic or a thoracic surgeon. The orthopedic will not look at the chest, Ive come to find. The thoracic surgeon was veery successful, however, I hope this might be useful.

Hello there,

My brother had similar problem last year and he was having even more troubles when he had caught a cold. If you don’t know how much a torn lattisimus dorsi can hurt while you are sneezing and coughing than consider yourselves lucky.

Of course if you just experience pain in this area and you don’t have trouble with coughing you need to report this to your doctor. They are a little bit irresponsible when it comes to torn muscles but you need to tell him anyway.

Of course I presume that you are taking pain killers and anti-inflammatory medications so continue with that until your muscles recover from the strain. I hope that you will recover soon. Good luck.