Hi, Ive been suffering with pain on the right side of my ribs for about 3 weeks now. The pain feels like its underneath the front of my rib cage and sometimes on the back. There is constant dull heavy pain that covers the top right section and into the middle of my chest, but the worst is the stabbing pains. They seem more localised and pretty much always in the same place. I went to the Dr's 2 days after i noticed it, he said it seems that Ive caused severe trauma to my ribs and sent me away with ibuprofen and was told it will be pretty much better in a week. I thought it was slowly getting better but even with the painkillers it still really hurt. But Saturday somebody barely knocked into my side and it was agony, even worse that the first time. I was sick and completely dazed and out of it for the rest of the day. I went to a walk in Dr and he said it might be a pulled muscle and sent me away with more pain killers. I know i'm not a Dr but I've pulled/torn muscles before and it doesn't feel the same. I can be sitting doing nothing then suddenly be in agony. From what i know i haven't done anything to cause trauma to my ribs or pull a muscle. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

I had pain like that for several weeks and it turned out to be my gallbladder: infected with stones. I had IV antibiotics and surgery to take it out and now the rib, back and right sided pain is gone. Just sayin.... Good Luck! 

Hi there,
It could be an infection that goes by the name of pleurisy. I suffered from the same symptoms as yours, and no one could figure out what was wrong until one doctor suspected it was pleurisy and he turned out to be right! Ask your doctor about pleurisy.
Good luck! And hope you feel better!

I have had sharp pains off and on for a year or so now. I have non alchoholic fatty liver cirrhosis. My gastroenterologist said it was from the pressure against ribs from liver being enlarged and inflammation. This week it is more widespread pain under the rib where liver is and is hurting severely without relief. I am limited to meds due to the cirrhosis and is very sharp stabbing pains with pressure from right front to mid back. Will probably just check into emergency room in the morning. I also just saw 3 doctors in different areas of medicine due to severe redness in face, neck and chest. Each one suggested different diagnosis. Still don't know what the problem is. I don't have a lot of faith in doctors anymore. Hope you find out what it is. Have you ever had your abdomen and liver tested. You don't know when it is a problem unless by accident like I did.

I feel for you girl! I'm having the same problem with my right side, had gallbladder remove, and still in a lot of pain. This has been going on for 10 yrs., and now they found that I have a cysts on my lift side of my kidney. So that explains why I'm in so much pain in my back. I just had my test results come back normal. so I'm going back to the Dr. on Friday and going to ask for more testing. Thank you for post this it's going to help me get to the bottom of my pain.