I am glad, like many other people, to know that I am not the only one experiencing some problem. I am sorry but I would like to hear if there is anyone else, who is experiencing pain on the left side of rib area. I sometimes feel it on my right side, but not as much, and when I lie down on my left side, it is very bothersome. I do smoke, and I cannot help but wonder if that has something to do with it. Does anyone have the same problem, I would appreciate info you could tell me about left sided pain rib area.

I have the same problem with left sided pain rib area, and I am glad to hear there is someone else. My pain also radiates to the left side of my back around my shoulder blade area, I do not know if you have experienced the same. It almost feels like my back needs to be cracked, but I know that is not the case, because I have tried many times. This left sided pain in rib area is dull for the most part, but it is bothersome because it is constant. It is always there, and I keep worrying that it is my heart or something. I asked my friend and he said that first cause, and most alarming, a physician wants to exclude is heart disease. Pain due to ischemic heart disease has a special character and patients usually have multiple risk factors. It is common for musculoskeletal pain to cause a picture similar to our complaint, so I think definitely, we both need to see a doctor because of this left sided pain in rib area. I hope there will be nothing so scary, and wish you to post me how everything passed.

Hi there, I am Eve 33, mother of 2 boys and have had first noticed the pain in my ribs when the last child (4 yrs ago) was inside the womb and stretching up with feet. I have had pain after laying on my stomach on the floor, like a bruised feeling.
But more recently, it hurts more and more often; not just when laying down, but more from driving, sitting etc. It is painful to the touch, like a bruise. I wonder if I have a broken rib, but there is no noticible hard places.
When I put pressure on it, it releives the pain. Almost like a hernia or something. I will be going to the dr, but I have a high deductible for x-rays etc. Maybe can get into an office visit.
The pain is interfering with my daily life now about last 6 months. More frequently now though.
I don't have stomach problems, I don't have much other problems to speak of.
If I press the bottom ribs on my right side, they feel like the nerves are sensitive, but not a constant problem.
Hope this helps.
Can you relate to any of this

This message is for Bickley as well.
I have not had pain radiate to my other side nor my back at all.

I had a cardiologist check me out about 5 months ago. I did the stress test, sonigram 3-image, even a heart monitor for 24 hours. But everything checked out fine.
I have had daily chest pain that is in the center of my chest and heart beat that skips every so often (what Ellen Degeneress suffers from) for over a year, and this is why I went to a specialist.
The reasons were found unknown. My paternal granfather had his first heart attack @ 50 and reason for my concerns as well.
I would not be worried about the lower ribs having anything to do with the heart.
Drinking less caffine and not holding your breath when you get stressed can cause the same symptoms as well due to lack of oxygen.

costochondritis: You have chest pain. You probably think that you have a heart disease. Chest

pain may also be a symptom of costochondritis. If you have costochondritis don’t worry.

Costochondritis is a benign condition. Costochondritis is inflammation of the rib cage

muscles. It is a common cause of chest pain in children and adolescents. Most frequently it

affects young adults between 20 and 40 years old. In contrast to myocardial ischemia or

infarct, costochondritis is a benign cause of chest pain.

Costochondritis occurs in women and people over age 40, can affect anyone, even infants and

children. When costochondritis is accompanied by swelling it is called Tietze's syndrome.

You shoul know that Tietze syndrome is often referred to as costochondritis, but the two are

distinct conditions.

In most of cases the cause is unknown, idiopathic, and costochondritis goes away without

treatment. When the cause is unknown the goal of treatment is pain relief.

If you have chest pain you should know that it is medical emergency. Underlying diseases

which can cause chest pain can be very serious. Chest pain may be caused by heart diseases,

lung diseases, gastrointestinal problems and costochondritis. When you have chest pain your

doctor will first rule out heart disease. You will have some tests; they are needed to rule

out other diseases. If chest pain isn’t caused by heart disease you probably have

costochondritis.

You should know that costochondritis affects more woman than men. In some cases this

condition can be caused by infection.

What are the signs and symptoms of costochondritis?
Pain and tenderness are localized in the places where your ribs attach to your breastbone.

If you have costochondritis you will feel sharp pain or gnawing pain. Pain caused by

costochondritis can occur on either side of your chest, but occurs most often on the left

side of your breastbone. Pain is usually worsened by activity or exercise. Because of the

many nerves that branch away from the chest, you can feel pain in the shoulder or arms as

well.

Most common symptoms of costochondritis are: pain when coughing, pain when taking deep

breaths, difficulty breathing. When you movement stops, pain decreases. Chest pain is

usually preceded by exercise, or an upper respiratory infection or minor trauma. This chest

pain increases as you take deep breath. When you take deep breath you stretch the inflamed

cartilage and that can cause exquisite pain. Sometimes simply touching the area involved

will be extremely painful for you.

What are the causes of costochondritis?
Cause of costochondritis in most of cases is unknown, usually it has no definite cause. But

there are some cases where the cause can be determined. Costochondritis can be caused by

injury; a blow to the chest could also cause costochondritis.
Infection also can be cause of costochondritis. Viral respiratory infections, bacterial

infections after surgery and very rare fungal infection are known causes of costochondritis.

This condition commonly occurs with viral respiratory infections because of the inflammation

rib cage muscles from the viral infection itself, or from straining from coughing. When

costochondritis recurs that can be sign of fibromyalgia. Patient who have fibromyalgia often

have several tender spots. The upper part of the breastbone is a common tender spot.

Repeated minor trauma to the chest wall also can be cause of this costochondritis.

Frequently, surgery to upper chest can be cause of costochondritis.

If you have chest pain you should see a doctor. Only doctor can diagnose costochondritis.

There are difference between costochondritis pain and pain caused by heart attack.

Costochondritis pain is localized on small area, and pain caused by heart attack is more

widespread. Heart attack pain may worsen with stress or physical activity. Costochondritis

pain is constant. Never try to diagnose by yourself chest pain, leave that for your doctor.

Every chest pain should be taken very serious.

Screening and diagnosis
To help your doctor make the right diagnose, you must describe your chest pain. Pain of

costochondritis can be very similar to the pain associated with heart disease, lung disease,

and gastrointestinal problems. So doctors often missdiagnose costochondritis.

Costochondritis is also a common cause of chest pain in children and adolescents.
There are no tests for costochondritis, this condition can't be seen on chest X-rays or

other imaging tests.
When doctor suspect that you have costochondritis my order some tests to rule out other

conditions. The only way to diagnose this condition is to take your personal medical

history and to do physical exam. Costochondritis occurs fairly frequently in people who had

cardiac surgery.

What is the treatment for costochondritis?
Patients with costochondritis usually don’t need any treatment. Costochondritis pain usually

lasts a week or two and then goes away. In some cases doctor can prescribe nonsteroidal

anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen (Aleve). You

should discuss with your doctor about those medication because they have some side effects.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications can help decrease symptoms of pain, also they

help decrease inflammation, which is the primary problem. Some doctors prescribed tricyclic

antidepressants if pain is making it difficult to sleep.

Your doctor may give you a local anesthetic and steroid injection in the area that is

tender, if the pain does not respond to medications. Very rare surgery (removal of the

sore cartilage) is performed. If costochondritis is caused by infection usually treatment s

are IV antibiotics.
The pain should improve within a few weeks, and resolve completely within six months.

There are patients in whom this problem persists for some time. If you have chest pain

which last more than few months see your doctor. If you had the costochondritis once that

does not increase your chances of experiencing the symptoms again.

Self - care

There are several helpful things to do in order to help manage the symptoms of

costochondritis. Self - care is most important part of treatment. You should rest, and

avoid activites which make your pain worse. In order to decrease the inflammation, you

should avoid activities that cause pain and inflammation. Deep breathing, exercise, and

strain on the muscles of the chest may worsen pain and slow the healing process. Avoid or

limit activities that worsen your pain.
Walking or swimming can keep your body healthy. When exercise increases your pain you should

stop. Also you can apply heating pad to the painful area several times a day. Local heat or

ice may be helpful to relieve pain. Ice packs or heating ads these techniques help to

decrease your pain may help you better manage your symptoms. You should find out more about

chronic pain. The pain associated with costochondritis significantly improves within the

first 4-8 weeks. Some pain may persist, it is only associated with strenuous activity.

How to prevent costochondritis?

There is no prevention for this condition because costochondritis has no definite cause

I am a 35 year old woman, 5'8 and 158 lbs. I have also experienced a pain under my left rib over the last year. It feels like a runners cramp, but much higher right under my rib. And it radiates to around my back into my shoulder area only occasionally. It really aches, and sometimes feels like a sharp stabbing pain. It hurts when I stand, sit, lie down, anything and everything. Nothing relieves it when I have it, however it comes and goes. I have had no injury to my body in the past or present, and I am confused on what it could be. I don't have insurance, and it's hard for me to just fork out money to run a bunch of tests and never have any answers to my health questions or concerns. If anyone has any ideas, besides the ones I already read through here, please help me figure out what these symptoms could be a result from.

I just thought today to check the net for a burning problem I have and to my surprise there are others suffering similiar problem. Yes, I have been experiencing pain under my left rib area. Acturally, I kinda know what could have transpired it. I was in an abusive relationship approximately 30 years ago and hit over the rib area with a dresser draw. I did go to the emergency and was told my rib was just bruised. Okay, I was in a lot of pain...it eventually went away but I about 4 years ago all I have to do is move or pull the wrong way and I get the paralizing pain in my rib area and have to sometimes breath slowly. The pain would come ocassionally but now it bugs me everyday... Yes, I had X-rays as of recently, was told I had gas..okay....it's now over a year later and I had another X-ray..unfortnately I can't find a doctor who knows how to be a doctore and I don't have to suggest things. I suggested another Xray..of course the xrays always say negative..no ribs broken..of course my ribs are not broken..I tried to get the doctor to touch an area under my rib where the pain seem tor radiate of course he didn not feel anything....I am frastruated..sometimes it feels like my rib is going to crack....help. I can't give up...I am still in search of a real doctor. To make matters worse..I was rear ended twice..the last time in 05....the impact of the other driver slamming into the back of my vehicle .. now my neck, arm and lower back hurts....yes had therapy for over a year...yes still in pain...the doctor I had at the time said muscleskeletol..and will eventurally go away....three years later in more pain. got another doctor ... when I told him about all my pain...look at me like I am crazy..because I believe in staying in shape..even at 46 and look good..so how can I be in all this pain...seen two orthopedic doctors indicated something to the effect of my lumbar cervical spine stenosis...L this and S that...the other doctor said degenative..carporal syndrom also..I know that I hve been typing for over 20 years..tell me something new....okay...he said I did not have a herniated disk...of course I am glad -unfornatately for me I don't believe in being cut up or taking all that medicine anyway....because I don't want to be worse off than I am .. but I still need to get to the bottom of my pain...

OMG...I've been dealing with this same pain for about 2 months now. I actually hurt myself twice in a week. A branch killed my foot on Sunday, I buried my cat on Thursday night, and Friday night, I couldn't walk. Anyhow, I'm told that between this pain and the pain in my hip/leg, I am having problems with my L2 and L3 vertebraes that is pinching my nerves that cause pain around the rib area and hip/leg. I have been to many physical therapist. They don't work. I have also been to Chiropractors that don't work. Be careful whom you go to. I did finally find an excellent Chiropractor. I have gotten better. It is a very slow process, but I am much much better. I do also have issues getting to sleep because of the pain. I didn't sleep for a whole 2 weeks straight. I was so so tired, but I got through. I found that Nyquil helped when nothing else did. Now that I'm better, any good pain reliever does help. So, I don't have to take Nyquil anymore. Bad habit. I just can't believe that if it's that thing that last 6 months, OMG. I will wish it away. Good luck guys. My heart is with ya'll. I know what you are going through. Very very painful. God Bless.

:-( I have been suffering with lower rib pain that radiates to middle back for about two years now. At first it was just where my rib attaches to sternum in front but recently it has been radiating around my left side to my back. Went to chiropractor and she adjusted my lower back and it felt allright for about a week but now it is back again. Advil relieves the constant pain but I hate to be constantly taking it. I worked out on the eliptical for 60 minutes today and now I am really suffering I guess I will have to take advil again. Good to know that I am not the only one in the world that has this but I hate it!!!

To rib pain. I have had left rib pain for 3 months now I have sternum pain to. I all so smoke . I don't have health insurance so going to the Dr.is out of the question. some days I think it is doing better, just when I do it flairs up again. Do you have pain any where else? My neck sometimes hurts to.

i have had pain in my lower left rib for about 3 months i went to the emergency room and was told there was nothing there as they took xrays, but here it is 2 months later and it still hurts also sometimes it really itches in the middle of my breat bone . the dr said he though i bruised it from just coughing. it is really bothering me and have no insurance so can't keep going to the doctor . i have tried ice and it relieve's it a little but not much i have got where i don't wanrt to do anything as it really hurts afterwards. i'am at my wits end and don't know what to do. also have a burning in the middle of my shoulder blades if any one has these issues please help me. i have never smoke so i'am very puzzled about a;; this

I am a healthy teenager and have been suffering with lower left rib pain for years. It is not always hurting but can really get bad when I stand for a long time or do activity. It almost feels like my ribs can't hold up my body good and I always try and sit down when it randomely strikes. For years I have been trying to avoid it and its been hard since I have a job that requires me to be on my feet 24-7. I have no idea what it is but sometimes it worries me because it is so extreme. I have asked my doctor about it and he says its no big deal so I just go with it. When it gets bad I take advil and it sometimes takes it away but sometimes it just comes on when I am sitting down and it feels like shin splints in my rib. Occasionally it goes to the right side but rarely ever. I read that it could be condrochondritis and that kind of sounds about right. They say it eventually goes away and mine has been active for years, so I am hoping soon. I also read that it could be signs of fibromialgya. I am also concerned with that because my mother suffers from it. Can anyone tell me if it is genetic?

ok i have had pain on my left side also and i do smoke. I think there has something to do with smoking and this left side pain dont you think..on the first page i see three people that smoke and have this pain..what you all think?-aim2010

I have the exact same thing. I had my son 2 years ago and the pain has gradually gotten worse, however my pain is on the left side. I am going back to the doctor for more tests today.

i have the same pain had it a long time . i allso have left neck and shoulder pain but i have a extra rib in my neck witch givesme left arm pain most of the time so the doc thinks it could be doing the same to my bottom rib as the extra rib in my neck afects my nerves i have had some blood tests as well im waiteing on them get them back liver test kidney etc.....if any one wants to talk about it get me on ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

....as im sure to find out what it really is with in the next 2 to 4 weeks as im going to have a scan as im sick of the docs just saying its to do with this and that......if any one out there as got news on there problem with left rib pain and no 100% what it is then msg me thanks