For a little over a month I've been having a lot of pain when taking a deep breath. It's in my right rib cage but in the back. It feels like that side won't expand all the way. I went to the dr and he listened and said if it's not better in 3 weeks to come back and he'll order an x-ray. It's been about a week and it's getting worse and worse. I've done everything I know to do. I've had a massage, I've been to the doctor, I've been sleeping on a heating pad. Now I'm really getting worried that it could be something serious. I'm usually pretty good with pain but I've been in tears 3 times already today. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

if the pain is persistent i advise you go to a hospital IMMEDIATELY

you could be having and appendicitis attack

it could be anything and you're not loosing anything by going, have them give you a CAT scan immediately

Well, I went to the doctor about 2 weeks ago. They did a CBC and chest x-ray and everything was normal but it still hurts REALLY bad!

Upper back pain upon taking a deep breath could be a ribhead out. What happens is that when the back muscles get into a spasm, they can actually pop the head of your rib up and it can lay against a nerve pathway, causing more pain and spasm. Also the intercostal cartilage between your ribs could be in spasm as well. The best way to tell if you have a rib out is that you take a deep breath and get a sharp pain, usually localized to one spot. It can also give you discomfort in the chest side as well. Also just plain back muscle spasm could be the problem. A chiropractor is the best remedy for that rib out though. Deep tissue massage, if it is done right can be very effective as well. If the therapist knows what they are doing. This is just some advice, considering you have had all the appropriate medical tests and they came out normal. The good doctor can be very helpful in this case as well, he can prescribe maybe a muscle relaxer to calm down those ribs/back muscles. usually but not all the time upper back pain is largely stress related.

Please do not post medical advise if you have 0 medical training or background. You are correct that you've got nothing to lose by going to the hospital immediately, oh wait except for that $4,000 medical bill for the cat scans. Hey why not get an MRI while you're at it!

Hello To All,
I'm not a doctor, but I do have an EMS liscence! I lift a lot of weights, and I too had exactly the same problem. I went to the crack doctor, & about 15 min. later I was fixed up fine! I still had a lot of residual muscle & nerve pain but that was taken care of with a heating pad & some Ibuprofin. It's happened to me a couple of times now & the reasoning is because once it comes out your muscle memory alows it to come out a lot easier! It will eventually heal up enough so that it won't come out at all any more! need to rest it for a while & then strenghten up the muscles arround it to try and keep it from happening again! This is not a diagnosis or a solution but an oppinion from a fellow ribhead patient!

Wow, great! I've been sitting with the same problem, and neither the doctor nor the chiro has explained to me about a rib out.

Thanks a lot for explaining this!

i have a spasmodic pain in my ribs , mainly pain in my right rib when breathing in, i am just getting over a nasty chest infection, so if you are coughing and spitting up green or yellow coloured phlegm then check it out with your doctor , the sore ribs are connected with chest infections also, as well as other reasons. cj

That is all fine and good for ya'll but I have Interstitial Lung Disease (Pulmonary Fibrosis) I am afraid to go to the doctor as I am afraid m disease may be out of remission. I have had the pain since Friday hoping it will go away.

I've JUST got back from my chiropractor who I had be seeing for sciatica caused by a prolapsed disc.

I had a treatment on Tuesday where he cracked my UPPER back in 3 places (unrelated to the sciatica).

When I got home that night at some point I twisted in such a way that caused an excruciating pain in the right hand side of my back/side.

My wife has had some experience in sports therepy and said she could feel a lump in the area and she though it my ribs.

Sure enough my Chiro diagnosed a popped rib head which he explained could have been encouraged by the therepy I received that tuesday.

He treated it by using a downward vertical thrust with me lying on his treatment bed. This had been propped using one of the beds mechanisms and when he thrusted the bed drops about 2 inch which aids in the pressure of the thrust.

My back instantly popped and it felt 10 times better although still tender.

He gave me excersises to do every half hour which he explained prevent the muscle from tightening again.

I am still in a lot of pain but I have regained alot of movement that was previously restricted.

I also refused to pay for the treatment as it was caused by his actions previously which he acknowledged to we're all good !

Any with rib issues should look into slipping rib syndrome. I am a nurse with it and it doesn't just go away.

Hi I had exactly the same syptoms as you just last week. I had an emergency C-section 3 weeks ago and the pain came on 2 weeks after the op. My pain got so bad and i couldn't breath so went to A&E having put up wit it for days. The hospital were worried it was a blood clot on my left lung so gave me an ecg, chest X-ray and a lung X-ray/scan. They found that the problem was an air pocket in my lung. While doing my C-sectioin the Dr's had tore the lining from my lung, causing a pocket of air between the lining. The Dr said that they usually go on they're own but if it hadn't gone in a couple of weeks or if it got worse or i got even more short of breath, to go back to A&E. Luckily mine seems to have gotten better now, there's no pain and i can lay down flat and on my left side at bed time now! I was prescribed cocodamol (which didn't help at all) so maybe you could try just going to A&E then they'll have to do something Dont let them fob you off with trapped wind as my midwife and the DR on call tried to do with me. Its a serious condition so get it looked at immediately! good luck and let us know what happens x

Ps

Even if you haven't recently had an operatioin you can still tear the lining from your lung or get an air pocket so maybe mention it to the DR's as they may not think of it x

hi im 40 yrs old. been having severe pain in right side of back and rib. went to two drs. first one said i sprained my back. 2nd said its chest wall pain. go home rest take ibeprofin. its been over three monthss with this pain. i have not had any relief or gone any of the last 112 days with out pain. it hurts so much worse when i inhale . last two weeks i have been getting sharp pain like some ones stab me with a knife in my back on right side. any movement i make send a jolt of pain in that area. im scared n in need of help.

I had the same back pain below the shoulder blade and numbness down my arm. It became so bad I saw my family doctor. Many tests later found nothing to explain my pain. Months pass and my pain had now started being severe in my front rib cage making me feel like I could not breathe. The medical doctors diagnose me with Costocondritis. Nothing they can do to help that but pain killers! I was now in chronic pain constantly, and take pain killers all day and night. I finally decide out of desperation to see a chiropractor. In no time he finds my back ribs out of place and begins treating it. The ribs have been out so long (probably a year) we can only make minor adjustments for the first few treatments but about 4 treatments in he is able to put the ribs back into place. What a relief! I felt so much better immediately. I had sore muscles having to get used to the adjusts, and it took time to heal, but honestly this chiropractor has got my life and health back for me! I am so grateful and thankful. If I had simply listened to my medical doctors I would still be in a mess. My advice, be cautious and seek out a reputable chiropractor, but try. I have kept my family doctor in the loop on this and she was amazed at my improvement. She even admitted it has helped where medical doctors could not. I only wish I hadn't left it so long!! I suffered for over a year with this. My treatments took about 6 weeks and 2 months later I am feeling really good. My job now is to rebuild muscles to keep it strong and I'm on it! Believe me! Oh and imagine somehow the Costocondritis has magically gone! It was caused by the ribs in my back being out. Ditto!

I have the same problem, pain in my middle back/bottom of my rib cage on my left side. When I twist to that side, the pain gets a lot worse. I've kind of learned how to bend, stretch, or twist a certain way and it cracks and the pain is gone right away, although still slightly tender. I lay on the side it hurts and slowly raise my upper body, keep everything below the waist silent. I really try and bend almost all the way to an L-shape. Try this technique out!