About 10 days ago I sneezed and had immediate pain at the base of my ribs on my left side. The pain is sharp and very little I do relieves the discomfort. It is very hard to "bear down" such as with a bowel movement. Any Ideas?

yesterday i had a very powerful sneeze. Immediately after that i felt like i was punched in the ribs. My lower left rib is hurting. if i press on the rib is hurts. any movement. I have to walk slowly. anytime i turn over in my sleep i wake up because the pain is so strong. i have a hard time getting up or down.. What is the cause of this. there is no brusing just soreness.

....a torn interstitial muscle, or more likely, a fractured "floater" rib.

Hello there,

Well I have some information about this and I will share with you what I know. First of all sneeze can pull the intercostal muscle (somehow I believe that this is your problem) and this is a small muscle between the ribs. As you have felted by yourselves this muscle can be very painful. Also it is extremely painful when the power of a sneeze causes movement and in which joint gets into position where the rib meets the spine and they became misaligned.

Sneezing usually triggers muscle spasms and aggravate pinched nerves and the result is extreme pain that you are feeling.  Unfortunately you will need to see your doctor about this so I suggest that you do this as soon as possible.

got the same thing after holding a sneeze in a grocery store. did you get better with time or did you pass away??

I sneezed and coughed at the same time FX of the eighth rib 5 months ago still having pain

Lower rib pain after sneezing: I have the same problem, i request to know the cause and treatment.

I seen a Dr and he said it could be only 3 things that happened either a strain muscle, fractured rib or poped rib out of place and there is really nothing they could but perscribe in flamatory pills and pain med. also he said that need to try to relax and brath right cause if you trying to to short breaths because you trying not to fell pain there is a chance you can get amonia.

I know this is a really late response to your questions and stuff. But, I just wanted to let you know that if you do have a rib out of place, a chiropractor is actually trained to carfully pop it back in. (:

Nice advise thanks

I sneezed and I could not move. My left side is killing me. Will the pain pass do I need to see a doctor.

As a medic I believe it's simply going to be a painful healing period for weeks. Not much can be done but a few light meds and do your best to keep from the god awful sneeze or cough. Kinda like a broken rib, weeks of discomfort. Sorry I'm in the exact situation.

Thank you. I've been in agony for a week and a half from the same thing. I thought it should be easing up by now and I was getting worried. I guess i'll keep on riding it out. A heating pad helps it some, probably by relaxing my rib cage. I have to grip my ribs carefully if I sneeze or cough.

Well I see the doctor didn't read carefully what you wrote that caused the pain he just wrote a bunch if nonsense that has nothing to do with hurting yourself after a sneeze...I actually just did this today myself ..I was bent over and I sneezed hurting my left side now I feel a bit of swelling and pain..But I refuse to seek a doctor cause they want to check you for everything else but what you went in for..

Could it be shingles?