I had a parathyroidectomy 2 years ago. Since then I have gained weight, despite the fact that I have been eating less and healthier. I gained a bit of the weight within about 5 months of surgery, then it continued to creep up and has leveled off. I'm not looking for excuses, but am wondering if the operation COULD be contributing to the problem? I was tested for THYROID problems, but all is normal.

I too had parathyroid surgery with removal of l.  Started gaining weight about a week after surgery and have gained about 50 lbs in 3 years.  NEVER had a weight problem before, almost too thin.!!

So have I. Had all PT glands removed few years ago when on dialysis and was very fit and trim. Started gaining weight and couldn't stop until 30 pounds and then leveled off. It was crazy. 32 inch waist size from 17 to 45 years old and diabetic so very careful with diet and exercise. 38 inch waist now 4 years after kidney transplant. Walking and trying weight watchers now.

Parathyroidectomy 7 days ago and immediately noticed weight gain of 5 to 10 pounds (feels more like edema than actual fatty weight gain).   Doesn't sound like much, but I have been sick for years now (following a traumatic fall in which I hit the back of my head) with multiple hormone-related illnesses, including AGHD - adult growth hormone deficiency - (pituitary), secondary Cushings syndrome, hypothyroidism, hyperaldosteronism, fatty liver and insulin resistance, and have gained approximately 80 lbs. in the last 20 years.  In the last 2 years, I have found that following a low carb diet has been my only option for loosing weight, which usually shows an immediate response to the change in my diet, but since parathyroidectomy this is not working and I'm terrified the weight gain will continue.

OK...... slow down....... take a deep breath.   I have a background in healthcare and I know how delicate our hormonal balance (or imbalance) can be.  So, my next step will be to contact my endo to determine if manipulation of my thyroid has caused an imbalance and the need for meds to be adjusted again.   Or, maybe it's the high doses of calcium I'm required to take post-op - which will taper off within the next two weeks (can it cause edema?).   This could have even effected my AGHD dosage requirements.   So, next steps will be to obtai comprehensive labs, discuss with my doc, and see where everything is at this time......

Just wondering if any other ex-paras have experienced the same and did the weight eventually return to normal or did you at least have the ability to drop some weight by diet, med change, etc?   Notice I didn't include exercise in that equation, as I don't believe exercise has anything to do with hormonal imbalances.   When your hormones are out of whack, the only thing that works is to get them balanced first!   We can diet and exercise all day long and never see a change in our weight if the hormonal universe is not on our side.

Here's the good news....  immediately improvements since removal of my tumor - bone pain GONE; insomnia greatly improved; less anxiety; no longer feel "bitchy;" even though still fatigued, I do have more energy than before and there is a calmness here and there I have not felt in years.   Hmmm... that's just after 7 days - hopefully there is much more goodness to come :)   Yes, throat is still very swollen and I look like I have an Adam's apple, but I know it takes weeks and months for surgical healing to occur - so if you too have recently had parathyroidectomy just hang in there - it will get better with time.  Oh, and I have had no low calcium issues.... am taking Citracal Maximum + D3 regimen set up by my physicians at the Norman Parathyroid Center in Tampa and so far so good.  Did have a slight bit of tingling in hands/feet initially, but an extra calcium tablet took care of it just like they said it would.  

Wishing us all GOOD HEALTH and SPEEDY RECOVERIES! 

Hi Guest,
Any change in your weight in the last two months? Up or down? Did you follow up with your endocrinologist or PCP to determine if other hormones were now out of balance due to the parathyroid surgery - such as your thyroid levels? I'm hoping you've had a good result since your last post. Best of health to you.... DJG

My parathyroidectomy was in 12/2011. In my pre-surgical workup, I weighed 102 lbs, pretty standard for me. The surgery was necessary and beneficial, but I now weigh 135 lbs. This is more than I weighed when I was pregnant and overdue! Like others, I haven't really changed my activity or diet. I haven't followed up w/ my endo, either, so that's where I'm heading next week. Good luck to all. I'll send an update, should he find anything.

I had a parathyroidectomy 9 months ago, removing two whole glands are parts of the remaining two. I went in at a weight that was my norm for about 3 years and came out weighing exactly 5 pounds more. It was instantaneous! None of my usual weight loss tricks even budge the scale and I have stayed at this exact weight since. Previously with eating habits I could make my weight go up or down by a pound or two within couple of days but not now. Won't even budge. I mentioned this to my doctors but no one seems phased by it. Just in theory: you know how they (currently) say that increasing your calcium intake can help with weight loss? I wonder if the sharp decrease in calcium could play a reversed role in this. I am not looking forward to this new development if I decide to get pregnant.

I had Parathyroid surgery two years ago. Prior to the surgery I suffered from the all the usual suspects including bone pain, chronic fatigue, headaches, achy body, weight loss etc. They removed 3 of my parathyroid glands and the surgery and recovery went well. However, one week after surgery I started gaining weight. Two years later I am now 75 lbs heavier than before the surgery even with diet and exercise. This is a major problem as I am on kidney dialysis and need to be a certain weight to get on the transplant list here in Georgia. In addition to the weight gain I still suffer from chronic fatigue, brain fog, memory loss, depression, neck and chest pain, and more. Dr's say nothing is wrong but I do not feel lk myself. I never felt this bad with dialysis alone. My calcium is 8.5 and PTH is 46 and I have never seen an endo doctor. Do you guys think the weight will ever come off? I am still gaining! Please help!

Hi, I had a parathyroidectomy in July 2014. Before it I had always been underweight (I'm 57 years old and female) due to Crohn's disease and a host of other illnesses so, in other words, I never gain weight. But about 2 months after the surgery I suddenly noticed I had gained 5 pounds and now, on March 1, 2015, I have gained a full 10 pounds which has me very upset. I will take DeeJayGee's suggestion to get my Endocrin. to check all of my hormones to ensure they are in balance because this unusual weight gain has exacerbated my Major Depressive Disorder as you can imagine.

I had one parathyroid removed in April. Have a tingling sensation in my right arm ever since. Also weight gain of 3-6 pounds. Still have mod swings and sleep trouble. I haven't seen my endocrinologist since surgery. Anybody have hope to lose the weight?

I'm sorry you feel so bad. I have also had parathyroid surgery and have gained more than 50 lbs. my stomach is huge and feels swollen. I walk everyday for my job for almost 7 hours a day. I pack my meals and watch what I eat. I drink mostly water everyday. Still my weight goes up. I'm heartbroken and feel ashamed of myself. I wish I had the answer. I'm praying about it.

I had a parathyroidectomy 14 months ago.  I am feeling better but I have gained 35 pounds.  I have never struggled with my weight before.  I have asked my family doctor and my surgeon about it and they have no answers.  They have tested my thyroid function and just about everything else - everything comes back normal.  It is very upsetting as I am eating well and exercising daily.  I have been researching online and read that this weight gain after surgery seems to be wide spread. My GP is actually concerned too. I am going to an endocrinologist next month.  I will let you know if she turns up anything.  Good luck to all of you!

I have had the SAME tingling in my right arm - I thought I was going crazy. Also gained a few pounds. My Endrocrinologist claims it is not because I had surgery to remove one parathyroid gland. But it seems odd we have the same symptoms. Will they ever admit to side effect?

I had a parathyroidrectomy for my lower left parathyroid in November. I am an active person - works out 3-5 times a week with running and weight training. Granted I indulge in food and alcohol occasionaly but I eat healthy daily and work out regularly. I am still gaining weight. Is there something else going on?

Just had parathyroid surgery at the Norman Patathyroid clInic and was told if I had tingling that would mean I was not taking enough calcium ...they recommend Citracal with D3 maximum strength... 5 a day for a week after surgery, then 3 a day for 1 week then 2 a day for life.