Hi, folks. My uncle wants to buy me a dog for my birthday. I was thinking of picking maltese dog, but I don’t know anything about them. What is the life expectancy for these dogs? Does anyone have experience with keeping them? If you do, please share your experience with me. Thanks in advance.

i have 2 maltese & i've had them for 3 & 4 years. they typically live for about 15 years. they are very sweet dogs and are good with children, my 3 year old cousin plays with them when she comes over once a month and i've had no problems, they like to lick your hands and feet alot and tend to bark when doors get opened. grooming them is a pain though if you want to keep them long, i keep mine short and groom them myself, my grandma gets her maltese groomed for between $30-$50. if you live in a small house or apartment they are great because they are small and don't take up much space. letting them out or taking them on a short 5-10 minute walk to do their business should be done every 5 or 6 hours, they have training pads you can put in your home and/or dogs crate for when you are at work & you can't let them out. they are fairly inexpensive, you can get them at pet stores, walmart, and i believe the dollar store/general.
i hope i helped :-)