I have recently started to volunteer in an animal rescue centre. I do it because I love animals and want to make a difference. There are so many people out there who still think that animals are no more than possessions to do with as we please. So sad. We just had a dog with heart failure come into the centre. I'd be interested in getting your view on what its life expectancy might be?

Not very long, I would guess. If you are the type of center that rehomes dogs, I do not think that it would ever reach that stage for this particular dog.
Making sure that the dog is not in pain, that he is well cared for and can live out his last days in peace and with caring people around him should probably be your priority.
It must be difficult to see all those animals come in, and many of them must have suffered terribly.