Hi, folks. My dog is diagnosed with epilepsy. I must admit that I didn’t even know that dogs could have this disease. He fainted and had something like convulsions. I didn’t ask my vet more info. I would like to find out about the life expectancy for dogs with epilepsy. Does anyone know this?

Hello Reinald, We adopted a Boston Terrier who was 18 months old from a rescue group.  He had already been stabilized on phenobarbitol for his epilepsy at his foster mother's, so I'm not sure of the early details of his life.  I do know he got great care at the vet school nearby when he was at his foster home. 

When he came to us, he had not had a seizure in weeks.  He has meals and medication at the same time each day.  Breakfast at 6 am and morning meds at 7 am.  Dinner at 6 pm and evening meds at 7 pm.  Our vet checks his phenobarb level twice yearly, along with his annual physical bloodwork.  She says if we continue this level of care, his life span will not be affected, which makes us very happy because he is the sweetest and most loving little clown of a dog I have ever had.

The side effects we have noticed from the medicine are that he is sleepy for about an hour or so after he takes it and he has a ravenous appetite which could lead to his being chubby if we didn't monitor him all the time.  Hope that your vet helps you treat your pup.  All the best, VQ.

My one Otterhound's brother was diagnosed at 9 months with epilepsy. It has been a battle for 11 years to keep him stabilized. He just lost his battle two weeks ago at the old age of 11 1/2. Not bad for a large breed. My girl now has it too and I notice the same things. She gets so darned hungry and with sleeping so much it's going to be hard keeping the weight off. She 5 1/2 years and 129 lbs.