My next door neighbor just got the cutest little bichon frise! I really like this dog, and I think bichon frise is a great dog to have in an apartment too. Actually, you can simply pick him up and even carry him in a bag if need be, so I think they are great for the city. And did I mention - ever so cute? But what is the life expectancy for bichon frise dogs?

There are web-sites which will tell you all you need to know about any breed. Bichons can live up to 15/17 years old, however, they do tend to have health conditions which shorten the life expectancy. They can have heart murmurs for instance. In addition, temperament -wise they are very stubborn, hard to house train, and hate to be left alone for any period of time, and will bark, chew, claw at furnishings and walls if they get bored left alone.They also need sufficient exercise every day as do all dogs regardless of size. They grow to about 12 inches to the shoulder, give or take depending on the sex, this equates to about 5/6 kilos in weight, so I wouldn't personally want to carry them in a bag on my shoulder! They need regular trips to a grooming parlour, as they need to have their coats clipped and they need brushed every day to keep the coat nice and to prevent matts. They are cute but need a lot of daily care, you need to think carefully if a dog will fit into your life-style.