Are there any pit bull owners here? I am strongly considering getting a pit bull. They look strong and sturdy and like they could take good care of my house and defend it from burglars! How old do pit bulls normally become? What is the average life expectancy for pit bulls?

pitbulls can live to be 12 yrs old normaly live till they are 8 yrs old.

Actually, the average life span for an American Pit Bull Terrier is 12-14 years. I have an 11 year old APBT and he is still going strong with no health issues. Please research pit bulls. You will see they are not good protection dogs. They LOVE people. I always joke our boy would show a burglar where the good stuff is stashed. As long as someone is willing to pet him and play ball he will be their new best friend!!

Our pit is 12,just went to the vet n all is well

Yes they are good watch dogs, and when they are taken care of the right way they can be good family dogs. I recently had to put my down we had him for 15 years he was the best pet of course never hurt anyone because he cared for him like family. In his good years never had to worry about people getting into our yard because they were afraid of the dog for being a Pitbull but what they didn't know all it took is for people to call him by his name "MICKEY" and everything was ok, he thought they knew him. We miss him very much. Because we gave him all the love a pet like him deserved he never gave us trouble.

lol I always say my pit would invite someone in for coffee.....I have had her for 13 years and she was about 1 to 2 yrs when I found her.....I am losing her now to heat problems :( great dogs very friendly and loveable despite the bad raps

o yea i had 1 4 16 years she was the best took care of her like most people do their kids they say 7 years to our 1 so do the math its a log time ya gota lv em they do so back to you ////// hope this helps/// wolf1

I don't know about the protection part, but my pit bull would actually open the door if she could and invite you in.  Everyone who comes through the door, comes to see her.  She will lick you from your toes to your head.  She thinks she is completely human and is treated like another child.  She is almost 10 years old and suffering from arthritis right now.  We are dreading the day that she will eventually leave us.  They have a heart gold and are the most loveable pets in the world.

pitbulls are very good dogs to have as a pet we have a pit and she is 10 years old and we raised her with my grandchildren and they are very good with the kids and my grandkids can do anything and those dogs will not harm my grandkids and our pit will lick you do death

I have 3 2 girls 1 boy 2 blue nose and 1 American pit my oldest is 7 and she is a good watch dog not friendly at all now the 2 younger ones are because they are puppies but I have seen that they react to people the way the big one does.

Great Dogs My present red nose who is 14 has developed cancer my previous pit mix lived till he was 9 (cancer also)their size, looks, and bark are very good deterrents being a single mom they are great protection mine have been great with the kids their friends etc. I highly recommend the breed

I am sorry my thumb pushed the negative button and it won't go back. Sorry again.

I have a pit bull and she is about 18 yrs old and act like she is a pup she was raised in doors with small children we got her at 8 yrs old and grandbabies grew up with her and crawled all over her and she never growled at them she loves everybody and she keeps in my bed and she sleeps with her head on pillow and under the covers she is such a wonderful dog but when you say pit bull everyone freaks out it's all in how they are raised

I got to disagree with pitbulls not being good protection dogs...my pitbull is very protective of me. My dog was laying on the couch with me one night and a male friend came in and woke me up and tried to get near the couch and my dog attacked him. No doubt in my mind that if I cried out for help my dog would have my back. I do realize not all pitbulls will attack. My female pit is so friendly that she would leave me for a complete stranger just for a ride, bone, toy etc... and she probably wouldnt even miss me

Our 10 year old pit bull, Bugsy, passed away in February of an apparent stroke.  We were devastated.  He was the sweetest, most gentle dog.  Just a big baby around our family (his pack), but people other than our immediate family were not welcome.  He was extremely protective and if provoked, we feel he would have bitten an aggressor.  Around our grandkids, he was wonderful.  They could do whatever and he didn’t care.  He even tolerated our grouchy old cat!  But the cat was one of his “pack” too.  We dearly miss him, but chose not to have any more dogs or cats as it is just too hard when they die.  Rest in peace our dear Bugsy.