I just love the look of the great pyrenees - it is such a beautiful, faithful looking dog. But my friend told me that great pyrenees do not live for very long, and therefore I should get another breed of dog. Really? What do you know about the life expectancy of great pyrenees? I would appreciate your replies.

It can live up to 12 years! 8 to 12.. But it's totally worth it! Best dog in the world. The lifespan shouldn't be your principal !if you have enough time to brush it, make him do a lot of exercice, train it and do the vaccum :p and enough money to provide the food and vaccination, then go for it! You should also know that it's a guard dog so it never stops barking! It needs to be very well trained! :)

Pyrs at great loving dogs.  Our first, Beau, lived to 7.5 years.  He died of heat stress while boarded when we were over seas.  Our second Pyr, Rosie is now 12 and a few months and is starting to show signs of weakness in the rear.  Vet says all vitals are great for a dog her age.  Super gentle and still sleeps outside or in the garage.  She comes in at 0200 to finish her dinner and get that all important treat.  Short walks these days, but she always perks up when she hears "walk" or "truck".  Great Pyrennes are a great breed...not for the first time owner though.

We have one that is almost 15 yrs old! She even surprised us with a litter of 6 puppies at age 10!!!! Best dog ever....she is still wonderful with everyone even small children. A very loved pet.

Ive had mine for 11 years now and she is still going strong. She thinks shes a cat I think. She loves to catch mice and play with them. (I live in the country). She sheds something fierce year round though. She rarely barks, but does love to talk to me when I come in the door. She doesn't drool like others say theirs do. She is a bit of a thief if she escapes the yard. She will steal the neighbors kids toys, pool equipment, she once came home with a child's Halloween costume....I often wondered about the child it belonged to....Very loyal and loving. But she despises having to get in the car. So when the vet is needed, I call the mobile vet for her, its just not worth the battle or the stress. From personal experience, if you have a good size yard and are a lover of dogs, you can not go wrong with the Great Pyrenees.

The life expectancy sucks I admit... But that shouldn't be the reason why you shouldn't get a Great Pyrenees. I have an 8 year old male and the vet says he's healthy! Just make sure you take care of him/her and give lots of love and attention and they will be forever loyal to you. My dog definitely has a mind of his own and likes to intimidate people. So I really feel like you have to be a firm type of owner for these sort of breeds to listen to you. I'm pretty sad he's getting older and I understand that he is close to his life expectancy... but I would never have changed anything because he's been the best pet since day 1