I was looking up the current life expectancy in the United States, when I found that women now tend to live five years longer than men! That is a lot! I am wondering what the reasons are behind this. Do women live longer because of biology, or are there other factors involved, and if so, which factors do you think they are?

I think that women have outlived men ever sense the human race started keeping track of life expectancy and, presumably, long before that. It is probably safe to assume that biology is responsible for this. I don't think that we can say that women lead healthier, happier, less stressful lives than men. As a working mother, I would even say the opposite is true in many cases. If we are not healthier, than what else except biology would be responsible for the fact that we tend to live longer?

I am interested in this as well. Does this mean that women are perhaps also exposed to chronic and life threatening diseases less? I did not think so. There are a number of very serious conditions that affect many more women then men; multiple sclerosis, lupus, and osteoporosis come to mind, just to name a few. Of course, breast cancer is another one. How come women still outlive men, then?