Hi.
I think it is a great idea to give your kid a rabbit! I had rabbits when I was a kid and I really enjoyed them.
There are different breeds of rabbits, and some live longer than others. Besides that, there is always the possibility that a rabbit will die early from natural causes, or from an accident. In general, it is safe to say that the life expectancy for rabbits is at least five years, and many live even longer than that.
Hope that helps!

My daughter is going to be four next month. I have been saving up some money for her special gift, but it is really hard to think of the perfect gift for a four year old. Other relatives and friends will also be giving a lot of gifts, so it is tricky to know what to give her that will make her really happy. So, I have been thinking about perhaps getting her a rabbit. It would be good for her to care for a pet and learn all about its life and habits, I think. As well as gaining a nice buddy to cuddle with, perhaps. But I would hate for the rabbit to die really quickly and having to talk about the whole subject of death. Can anyone tell me what the life expectancy is for rabbits?