was reading that diabetics over 50 years old have a life expectancy that is seven years less than the average life expectancy in America! I was quite shocked, especially as this statistic has got to include all forms of diabetes, type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes. I thought the medical model had improved and that diabetes was a chronic illness like any other now.

I did not know that the life expectancy is as much reduced as you say, but I am in no way shocked or surprised that diabetics die younger. Science can't fix all, and diabetes is a very serious condition with very serious possible complications. I am sure that those who develop kidney failure as a result of diabetes are included in the statistics you mention, for example.

Interesting stuff. Would you share the source of your information with me please? Where did you read or hear that the life expectancy of diabetics is 7 years less? Is this the same for both men and women and can you say more about this? Or post a link to the source of your information?