Hi, my cousin had a lobectomy fo bronchiectasis (was diagnosed with traction bronchiectasis in association with apical fibrosis). Ex smoker. Would like to hear some more info about lobectomy for bronchiectatis from somebody with experience.

Hi, was a smoker myself. I also had lobectomy for bronchiectasis. My diagnosis was primary bronchiectasis and it was identified on plain radiography. No need to say anything else. As a chronic lung disease, bronchiectasis comes right after tuberculosis, speaking of frequency and mortality.
Bronchiectasis is in the center of surgical interest these days because of an upsurge of cases below the bread line. I think that the surgical therapy is the best option, curative and safe, with a very low operative risks and mortality. It can therefore guarantee good quality of life, radically changing the prognosis which otherwise is fatal in 1/3 of patients suffering from this orphan disease.