Hi, I started smoking weed about one year ago.. I was not a heavy user at first.. only every once in a while. However, last summer - when I started smoking weed.. I got severely sick one day.. throwing up non stop for a whole day. I thought it was just a stomach virus bc other people had talked about getting sick. Ever since this day, I have had stomach problems and pains. I have been to the doctor but they have found only that I am slightly anemic. I have started smoking much more this summer and the stomach problems are getting worse. I now have a strong pain in my upper stomach. My question here is that I am wondering if weed can cause stomach problems. I read some posts on how weed can cause ulcers.. is this true? Does anyone know if weed can cause other stomach irritability problems? Thank you!

I have never experienced any physical problems when smoking marijuana but I have been reading about a guy who also had stomach problems that were aggravated when smoking pot. I reckon it was this guy’s blog or something. I know for a fact that some people experience stomach problems when they quit smoking weed. Abdominal pain seems to appear as a withdrawal effect in some people trying to cut down or quit smoking weed but besides this guy’s blog, I have never heard that anybody had any similar problems-at least my friends haven’t. As for the ulcers-I also heard that one of medical uses of marijuana is to ease the pain from ulcers and not cause them. I know that gallstones cause pain in the upper abdomen. Is your pain linked to any food intake?

My friend currently has a swollen and pianfull stomach that came on directly after smoking some strong hashish. He has never experienced this before but I think that the quality and quantity is more thqn he is used to. Can find no info on this on the web except for this posting. If he dies or the problem persists then I will post again; otherwise I think it is just an unusual symptom of excessive dosage.

Guest wrote:

question has anyone ever heard of having indigestion stomach pains and puking related to pot?
i have had stomach problems for a couple years with the symtoms above and have been prescribed different meds for an ucer and acid reflux i have since gone to a specialist and at the end of our consoltation he asked if i smoked pot ? i responded yes 2 or 3 times a week and to my surprise he seems to think that it is related to pot.( i do smoke more frequentley then that)but have only heard the opposite ..

I am no Doctor. However, my common sense, intellect, and experience tells me a few things...

First let me ask if you have ever noticed what resin is.

Have you ever seen the inside of your pipe after smoking through it? Or the brown sticky paper of a marijuana cigarette after toking a few times? (or, in my case, cleaned your monitor and noticed that the rag is now stained with a brown color?) The golden brownish or blackish oily substance is concentrated THC or RESIN.

When one smokes marijuana, they are breathing in smoke. Smoke is the THC or RESIN of the plant in a gaseous state. After one smokes this into their body it turns back into a solid resin. Just like your pipe, that is what is deposited onto the surface with which the smoke comes in contact. Depending in where the smoke collects makes a difference, I believe.

Many people smoke the resin into their lungs, but at the same time are smoking it into their stomach. Basically, this is what would seem to cause the stomach problems. The more one smokes, the more the resin collects before being absorbed into the bloodstream...sometimes this can take a long time for people with slow metabolisms or existing digestive problems. It definitely causes my stomach to be irritated because my stomach is already sensitive to stimuli because I have IBD from gallbladder removal surgery.

Nausea and vomiting and dizziness can be caused by being "too high" or by excessive coughing caused by strong (good?) weed. The coughing spasms in your diaphragm can trigger vomiting and stomach cramping.

In my experience, if I smoke regularly and then stop for a while, my body tries to cleanse itself of the excess resin in my lungs by forming a really annoying cough...it covers the debris (ash, pieces of weed, resin) in mucous and coughs it up...the way the human body is supossed to clean the lungs of debris etc...

I have thought about the fact that the resin oil coating my lungs may be inhibiting me from the maximun oxygen intake that I could be getting. I am curious if that could be a trigger for the memory loss that is associated with smoking cannabis. It isn't out of the question, I know that poor oxygen absorbtion can lead to brain dysfunction, including memory loss.

NOT ONLY THAT, BUT....

Unless you grow the marijuana yourself you just don't know what else you could be smoking along with the marijuana.

For instance, is it grown organically or with pesticides? Is it grown in soil with added chemicals or in water (hydroponics)? Is the water treated? Is it tainted tap water with chlorine in it? Have pesticides been sprayed directly onto the plant? Are there parasites or other foreign materials attached to the plant that you cannot see? If you are obtaining "Mexican pressed" weed is it coated with invisible traces of a substance to "wet" it down before being pressed? Is it being wetted down with water when being distributed in bags to make it seem less dry and is it with tainted tap water? Could it be laced with another drug, such as cocaine or PCP or opium? I could go on, but for the sake of my carpal tunnel I shall stop....now.

Just some advice...practice breathing. Make sure you are breathing only into your lungs and not too deeply or into your stomach. This can be difficult for those of us who naturally breathe into our stomachs (ie. if you play a musical instrument that requires breath like the saxaphone etc... or if you are a singer...)

Hope this helps or causes some more questions :-)

Happy 4:20...up Up and AWAY!!!

Lizardo-

--------------My habit started about two years ago and along those two years i smoked more often during the day. I would have atleast 5 to 6 bowel movents a day, lower abdominal pain, and pain at the pitt of my stomach near my esophagus. I had to see a doctor in which i had to be truthful about my habit he recommended testing such as, an upper colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. These test will determine any problems in the colon,stomach,and esphagus. See your doctor and be honest. If you are a selfpay patient (meaning you don't have insurance) i suggest you go to your nearest public health clinic. Good luck and learn to kick the habit.. It's just not worth it! WORTH meaning #2 deserving of <well the ~ effort>

well, I have been smokeing for about two years now, I have started smokeing A LOT more in the past couple months, and I have been getting odd stomach pains, also I can get pretty bad acid reflux whenever I smoke it. I think it might have something to do with it, though it could be I was just sick, last time I smoked (last night, considering I smoke almost every day now) I was fine. I will post again if my problems persist.

Hi All,

Just done a search for stomach cramps and marijuana use... this site came up...

I've been suffereing severe stomach cramps and muscle spasms in the mid-upper section of my back since Sunday night (2 full days and coming up on 3 nights now). I had to take time off work today because I've not slept for two nights...

I was diagnosed with gallstones about 6 months ago, and have recently changed my diet to lose weight.

Just a piece of advice... from my personal experience... yes, some people do suffer stomach cramps when in cannabis withdrawal... but the main culprit i believe is the munchies... I eat a lot when stoned, and because of the gallstones, they've become inflamed recently... which is also set off by rapid weight loss. I've lost 7 kilos in two weeks. If you're suffering tummy cramps in withdrawal, see your doctor... you may have gallstones. They're bastards to live with... and can really hurt when you have an attack.

The worst thing is, where I live (Tasmania)... you have two options. Pay approximately $5000 for private health surgery to have the gallbladder removed or sit on the public health waiting list for over 12 months whilst suffering.

I've also heard that marijuana can help relieve stomach cramps, but I am also pre-disposed to depression which is bought on by pot smoking over a prolonged period... so do I relieve the cramps and lose my mind... or suffer the cramps and the withdrawal at the same time? At the moment i'm choosing the second option. If these cramps don't subside in the next 24 hours, I will be in hospital :-(

Get checked out before it gets to the stage I'm at guys! And remember, when the munchies do hit... try keep it healthy (as hard as it is!)... you'll pay in the long run.

So I found this page when googleing "pot causes ulcers".

I'm not a pot smoker and I'm not a smoker of anything else. In fact, the first time I smoked pot was the first time I ever smoked, needless to say it kind of burned and I coughed alot.

So I've smoked pot now a grand total of 3 times. The first time was ok and I didn't really feel any negative side effects.

The second was at a party I was drinking rather hard at and when I woke up I had a mild stomach ache. I thought maybe it was due to the pot but also some drinks.

The third time I smoked I hit the bong pretty hard and the next day I had the worst stomach ache and it didn't go away.

Reading some one of the previous posts mentioning inhaling smoke into the stomach made a lot of sense. I think that when I took a large hit of the bong I must have filled my frikkin stomach instead of my lungs.

Anyways, it's about 4 weeks later, I've been to the doctor who prescribed some ulcer medecine for me because I was exhibiting ulcer symptoms (nothing that needed surgery though). I'm supposed to take the medicine which will reduce the acid in my stomach for the next 6 weeks.

I think I'm not going to do pot again, but I guess my main question is, anyone have any idea how I can help this thing heal? Or anymore information about smoke in the stomach?

Thanks.

Really, you don't have to smoke cannabis, you can vaporize if you find the smoke to be too irritating.

You can also eat cannabis, and many people prefer to do this.

--
Cannablog
Peace and Love, y'all
***

**edited by moderator**

Hey, marijuana can be both good and bad for the stomach, depending on what you're talking about. But acid reflux and stomach pains can be symptoms of something called gastroparesis. I smoke pot, and I have it. I'm not saying it's a certain causal connection, but some docs think there is because pot relaxes the stomach muscles and slows motility. In gastroparesis, motility slows down, so something like pot that slows stomach mobility can cause gastroparesis. With gastroparesis, the stomach slows down, food doesn't move quickly enough through the stomach, you get high stomach acidity, nausea, acid reflux, sometimes vomiting, etc.

Just a thought. Go see a GI specialist and ask her about your symptoms.

I have been experiencing the same things as majority of you as well. I am only 21 years old and have been very confused as to what this problem could be. I will smoke marijuana and after about 4-5 hits I will start to feel the terrible pain come on (sometimes spasms internally are included.) I have been trying ulcer medication but it does not seem to have effect and now I'm just getting really nervous. I have lost weight over this and have not been enjoying my past couple months as a smoker. If anyone has a diagnosis or suggestions on what I can do to prevent this awful feeling, please, your suggestions are more than welcome. I really dont' want to have to quit smoking pot because it is such a social driver when I'm with my friends and my girlfriend's friends.

I have been experiencing the same symptoms as majority of you. I am a 21 year old male and have been taking ulcer medication but to no avail. Everytime I take about 4-5 hits of marijuana the pain starts up again. ISometimes it is even accompanied by internal spasms. I am beggining to get very nervous about all of this. After reading all of the posts I think I do inhale too much with my stomach so I will try a different inhalation method. I will also try the apple cider vinegar. It is possible that it has something to do with mucus release? I do not want to stop smoking because it is such a social driver and almost a ritual with my friends and my girlfriend's friends. I really don't want to stop smoking but it is looking like my only hope for recovery. If anyone has a diagnosis or a remedy to make this pain dissapear, please share.

I have been experiencing the same symptoms as majority of you. I am a 21 year old male and have been taking ulcer medication but to no avail. Everytime I take about 4-5 hits of marijuana the pain starts up again. Sometimes it is even accompanied by internal spasms. I am beggining to get very nervous about all of this. I have read in the other posts that inhalation methods could have something to do with it so I will try that and I will also try the apple cider vinegar. Could this be a mucus release problem? I do not want to stop smoking because it is such a social driver and almost a ritual with my friends and my girlfriend's friends. I really don't want to stop smoking but it is looking like my only hope for recovery. If anyone has a diagnosis or a remedy to make this pain dissapear, please share.

first off I know i smoke to much. i started in 9th grade but didn't start using it alot until I was almost 17, until then i didn't even smoke every day. I dont smoke once or twice a day I usaully smoke all day, for sure every day and have been doing so for at least 2 years (I also live in cali so the sh*t i always get is fire).

I lately have been tring to quit, just last week i smoked 2 ounces in 1 week (wasn't that good but still) and i am relizing that i just smoke too much. but that isn't the reason i'm writing.

Ever since I graduated high school (9 months or so) i have had this almost unexplainable pain in my stomach. It is almost not my stomach but the area right above my penis and the pain isn't very severe just always there. The best way I can describe it is like how you feel befor you give a big speech or talking to a girl you really like, like butterflies in my lower stomach, a very weird never ending sensation.
Also im only 18, and the reason I bring that up is because for someone my age to be expierencing these sort of problems is unheard of.

The reason i am posting this on this site is because when i smoke lots of herb my stomach hurts more than usual at first( especially when coughing) but then when im high it stops or hardly hurts.

Now the last thing im tring to do is act like a badass but, stuff like this usaully doesn't phase me. Like i said im not a f*****g rook i have been smoking not just weed but killa weed for more than 4 years, and more than 1 year of smoking it everyday. And like i said earlier this kind of sh*t i usaully dont even think about, but now everyday i am literally SCARED and that is really new for me. I think the main reson is because I dont know what is wrong. I went to the docter and she is trying to do test on me.

Like i said earlier i don't care about quiting but the only thing that makes my stomach temporarly feel better is smoking. Please if anyone knows or has heard of anything like this or has any suggestions questions or answers please post them.

I having trouble dealing with this sh*t and im going f*****g crazy thinking the only yhing that helps the problem could be the problem.

-Concerned