Parathyroidectomy - I cannot find a physician in my area who has done this procedure very often. What experiences has anyone had with Dr. Norman in Tampa, Florida?

Can anyone refer me to a surgeon located out West; Colorado to California?

Thanks,
SBowler

Hi. My son (15 years old) just had Dr. Norman operate on him last week. MIRP is great!!!! My son had 3 glands and 1/4 of another one removed (they were all bad). A general surgeon would have probably removed all of them causing hypoparathryoidism. I highly recommend Dr. Norman. He did a great job. Unfortunately our ins. refuses to cover this but it's well worth the money.

Hi
I had Parathyroid surgery by Dr. Herman in Tampa. I liked him a lot. And if you check out his website you can e-mail him personally and tell him what you need and he will answer you pretty quick.
After surgery I did pretty well. All I now have to do is take the Calcium pills. I can recomend him.
He did real well by me.
Inge

Does anyone know if there is a surgeon performing the same operation as Dr. Norman (FL) in California? Any one who was his patient have any difficulties like some of the other posts regarding the tingling or just basically feeling worse than before surgery?

:-P
Dr. Schlinkert at Mayo on Phoenix is great!!

Does any know if Dr Schlinkert at the Mayo in Phoenix does the MIRP?? And has anyone found another Doctor anywhere else to do the MIRP besides Dr. Norman in Tampa? In reading these posts, I am getting very discouraged because the patients that have had the Regular BIG Parathyroid surgery don't seem to do well, but I can not find some one close to Colorado to do the MIRP.
To make matters worse the doctors I do find, do not agree with Dr Norman. Yet all of Dr Norman's patients rave about how wonderful they feel.
I just want to be fixed!! I feel so broken!!

I've read everything I can find about Dr. Norman and I have corresponded with him by email. Everything I find seems positive and he responds promptly. My doctor won't order the necessary tests or even read his material. This is very frustrating! I'm looking for someone in Colorado who will at least cooperate with the preliminary part so I can determine whether I am a candidate for his treatment. He frequently has patients from the Denver area so there must be someone there.

I found one!!! I have been looking for a long time and finally found someone to do the surgery. Dr Norman was slightly rude when responding to my email. He did not care and did not want to help me find anyone close as I could not go to FL.
Babak Larian, M.D not only does the same surgery with a lot of experience, but does not charge an additional $1000.00 just because you are out of state. He was helpful in responding to my questions and was more concerned about my getting what I needed, not that he, himself did the surgery.
Its scheduled for april 9, 2008 and I will let you know how it goes. below is all of his info......

Babak Larian, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery - UCLA
Director, Cedars-Sinai Head and Neck Cancer Center
8670 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 200
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Tel (310) 657-2253
Fax (310) 657-0776

For those looking for a Surgeon you does the radioguided there is a Dr. John A. Collins, MD, FACS in Ft. Collins 1-877-796-1600 or (970) 221-5878. At the Surgical Specialists of the Rockies. Their address is 2315 E. Harmony Rd. Suite 130. He is to do my surgery tomorrow (3/12/08). The surgery is done at Poudre Valley Hospital there in Ft. Collins.

Has anyone had to have a parathyroid surgery done more than two times? Does anyone live without any parathyroid glands? If so, how long and was it because of a surgeon error?

question for Melody8. How did your surgery go with Dr. Collins in Colorado? I'm interested in knowing how good he is. DId he do the MIRP surgery and use a sestimibi scan.
Also what are people's experiences with Dr. Larian in California. Thanks you.

I know this post is probably outdated for the question posted on looking for a parathyroid surgeon in the west, however; maybe it will help those in the future.

I had one of my parathyroids removed recently by Dr. Stickney in Seattle, WA. From what I understand... she studied with Jim Norman of Parathyroid.com. She does the radioguided type of surgery. She made a tiny incision which I believe when fully healed, I will not be able to see. I beleive she is well educated in parathyroid disease and is very competent. At the pre-op appt. she was very informative, clear and concise in explaining everything and she is a very nice lady.

My only complaint, that the office is not very adept at dealing with out of town patients. Scheduling was not easy, it takes days for them to call you back.... and they don't send you any pre-surgery info, such as schedule, what to expect, nada, nil, zip! (they do of course send you paperwork to fill out and have your local Dr. send them your medical history.) So...make sure ahead of time what the instructions are and the time you are scheduled for the Sestamibi and Dr appointment. I only found out that my Sestamibi scan had been rescheduled, (2 days before scheduled to leave) by calling and finding out. I did mess up my travel plans as I had to go up a day earlier.

So.. if you are planning to fly, have your time sealed in concrete. Speak to them a couple of weeks in advance.....Do not take Ibuprofen in large amounts a week before surgery, as I almost did not get my surgery because I was taking ibuprofen, though not in large enough amounts. Large amounts btw, are really not that large, so DON'T take any the week before.

All in all, Dr. Stickney did a great job and her nurses are very nice. Office staff leaves more to be desired..... Nice but not very organized for the out of towners, IMO. Also, I have not spoken w/ Dr. Stickney since surgery, didn't find out the size of tumor taken out, and even though they got the pathology back, no one called me with the results... your kind of on your own before and after the surgery.

As I am 6 days post op, I can't say I feel much better yet... I am still VERY tired and weak. Just vaccuming makes me exhausted... I am however, able to sleep better than before..... I can actually take a nap and sleep, not just lay there. I am happy about this <grin>. I am still having bone pain, muscle weakness, brain fog and am a bit depressed. Hoping the issues will resolve soon....

Wow! I just made an appointment with Dr. Stickney's office. Where did you have the Sestamibi scan done? I had a CT scan but there was no adenoma seen. Can you tell me how you were diagnosed? My calcium levels are high normal 10.2-10.3 but parathyroid hormone is in range 27. Vitamin D is low less than 20. I have the fatigue, horrible bone pain in my hips, muscle weakness, brain fog and depression (probably from not being able to find the problem?). I have not got a diagnosis yet.

Did you have a definite diagnosis before you saw Dr. Stickney? If you don't mind, what were your blood levels like?

Geez! I am hoping this is the issue so it can be resolved! I didn't find the office staff overly friendly either but maybe they are just very busy? It is hard when my emotions are upside down. %-)

Thank you for any help you can share.

I was just diagnosed with Hyperparathyroidism. I was referred to Dr. Laura Szynter, a surgeon at Long Island Jewish Medical Center in Lake SUccess, outside of NYC. She is a graduate of washington university med school, and undergrad at MIT. SHe's taught at Harvard Med, Brigham and Womens, and currently at Albert Einstein. SHe recently published a study on MIRP that included nearly 400 patients operated on by her and two other doctors. She seems to get good results. I'm looking into how good the Sestimibi scans are at LIJ; I've emailed Dr. Norman about that, and if he's heard of Dr. Sznyter. I'll keep you posted.

To answer my_parathyroid's question....

My blood calcium range was between 10.3-10.5, PTH 85 and vita. D 16. I too have a lot of bone pain, achey muscles, sore popping joints, fatigue, hair falling out, brain fog, depression, etc... I did not have calcium dumping in my urine nor did I have kidney stone problems.

I went to OHSU and had an ultrasound done by Dr. Koslin the radiology Dr. there. He is very good at locating w/ultrasound. He did find an adenoma on my upper right parathyroid. I did not have a CT scan..... We had a pretty good idea that all the tests were leaning towards HPT b4 I made the appt. with Dr. Stickney.

Once I got all my levels tested and had ultrasound, it took a month to finally get an appointment. I'm sorry, it is a long, depressing process.... You know you have something wrong, feel like c**p and want it taken care of yesterday, but it is very much a hurry up and wait situation....

I had thought I would go to Dr. Norman in Tampa, as I really wanted to have the MIRP and recognize this as leading edge technology for HPT. However, I did a lot of googling trying to find somebody in the NW that was doing it and finally found Dr. Stickney.

My Sestamibi and a second ultrasound test was done at Swedish Memorial there in Seattle. Dr. Stickney's office scheduled it for the same day as my pre-op appt. How they usually work it is: have tests and pre-op appt. Wedneday and then surgery on a Thurs. Plan for a full day, I was exhausted, testing started at 7:45 am, and by the time we were done with the pre-op it was 4:30 pm. Swedish radiologist was very good with locating the adenoma, in fact he told Dr. Stickney he had located "The Beast," LOL! I guess he hadn't referred to an adenoma like that before... it was throwing of so much PTH it was very easy to see.

Yes, I think the staff at Dr. Stickney's office are very busy..... but it would be nice to have a little nicer bedside manner for the staffer's as I felt like I was such an imposition each time I called.... they were very short on the phone..... wouldn't call me back for days..... I guess they just don't realize how long we have been dealing with these issues and how much we want to get the problem taken care of ASAP, they don't seen to be in much of a hurry to help get things going...

The other problem is that once you get your appointment, they really don't send any paperwork, like what to expect, pre-op info, hotel info or any other info, nadda, nil, nothing...... and if you call them to ask info, again you feel like an imposition.... But, I would do it all over again <g>, Dr. Stickney seems very educated and has a great bedside manner, her nurse Carol is sweet, but very to the point, no extra conversation here.... But I wasn't there for a sit down and a warm cup of coffee..... they took care of the business at hand.

I stayed at the hotel Max, which was a nice, however, small rooms and further away from everything. I suggest that you book at the Silver Cloud, pretty new, and easier access as it is right across from the Poly Clinic.

I don't come to this website very often and I thought that if there was a response to my earlier comment, that I would recieve an email, which didn't, so..... it may be a couple of days b4 I check back here.

Best of Luck ~ L.