I don't even know where to begin this. I have had an issue with excessive mucus for about 8 years and it is something I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. It started while playing sports, I owuld need to sub off rather quickly because the mucus buildup in my throat was so bad I couldn't breathe and would gag me until I vomitted it up. All "it" is was basically a small amount (relatively speaking) of very thick mucus. This happened very frequently and I went from medication to medication without any positive results for a long time. I am now on Nexium and if I take ot for about a year straight then I feel what I would refer to as somewhat civil, but still cannot persue any sort of physical activity like sports without becoming "choked up" to the point of needing to hack and spit or at worst gag and vomit.

Went for a scope at an ENT specialist that lasted about 20 seconds, when I started to gag and they couldn;t continue and never rescheduled, simply saying it was inconclusive. i have requested some sort of muscle relaxer/drugs to make it so I won't gag ut my Dr. seems to think there's no need for this. I have another ENT appt. in October and I am afraid it'll be a waste of time if they take the same approach.

I have taken Nexium, Flonase, 2 puffers, Anti-Hystimines (spelling?), Neil Meds (sinus rinses) and several over the counter cough medicines and nose sprays. I am a VICKS (mentho-lyptus) addict as it feels just like cold symptoms without the runny nose.

This is a slow aggravating death mentally and physically...any insight would be greatly appreciated as I am going to aggressively persue a fix for this...there has to be something out there!

I've had a problem with a clear-colored mucus in my throat for 5 years. The problem developed after I was given prednisone for over 9 months. The worst symptom is my severe chronic cough. I, too, sometimes vomit when the coughing doesn't release the mucus. It's so disruptive to my life. I have been to every doctor imaginable -- some of the best I could find. I've also been put on every single medication these doctors could think of to prescribe. None of the meds worked; some made the problem worse. I am now working with doctors who combine traditional medicine with alternative medicine. One of my doctors is an allergist and immunologist who also uses a nontraditional approach called NAET. You can Google it to find out more. I'm still in the middle of the treatments, still have the cough, so I can't say if it works. I spoke with an older woman who had the same mucus producing cough for years and she said NAET was what finally cured her. I hope it works for me. We'll see. If this doesn't work, I may have come to the end of the road -- I don't know where else to turn. Believe me, I've been willing to try everything, and it's cost a fortune, because insurance hasn't covered much. My immunologist says my immune system is extremely stressed and my adrenal glands are almost shut down. He says the mucus production is related to a body that is overly sensitive to it's environment due to these problems and, thus, constantly inflamed.

Anyone wanting help naturally for these symtons. I can help. Please email anytime with your questions and I can show you products that assist. I am now med free for 2 1/2 years and work with a Health Professional Program now utilizing this line. Its a blessing for sure and I would be elated to work with you!
Sincerely,
Tina NC

:-D

I am a healthy older woman who is drowning in thick mucoid post-nasal drip. Nothing has helped including netti pots, nasal sprays, Flonase. It is ruining my life...please help! Natural or alternative medicines??

Dear Nutraceutical Consultant,

I am interested in Natural Remedies Recommendations for Excessive Mucous in my Throat and a Constant Cough. that I suffer.

Charles

?

My 5 year old daughter has suffered from excessive mucus production which casues her to vomit up to 10 times a day, have a chronic cough and chronic ear infections that have lead to 6 ear drum ruptures in her right ear. She has dark circles under her eyes and looks sickly. She's been tested for environmental allergens (negative) and food allergies (many). She's on a strict diet of no starch, no sugar, no dairy to cut back on mucus but 2 months into the diet, she continues vomitting 2-3 times a day. Any advice would be appreciated. PLEASE. Next step is Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia for full exam. I am at the end of my rope. We've been to pulmonologists, allergists, ENT's and alternative MDs and I haven't found an answer. PLEASE help!

I am having the same problem, and it's too troublesome. I'm getting frustrated about this, if someone already knew how to cure this and what causes this please I would be very happy to know, it would be very helpful to me, I want to come back in my normal life again.

Hi, I've been having the same problem for the last 5 years. I would love to have any advice on ways to help with this problem, its getting pretty frustrating not being able to exercise normally and getting fatigued easily with excess mucus. any advice would be great!

thanks

I'm suffering from the same symptoms for 5 years now. I would love to hear some suggestions or anything that could possibly make this better. It seems like slowly the insides of my body is starting to deteriorate and would love some ideas to help with this mucus problem. Thankss

Yeeeeerp...

Same issue here, roughly five years now
I used to struggle with excessive infected mucous and bouts of terrible sinusitis...
But after 3 failed sinus operations and a barrage of antibiotics i decided to go out on a limb, despite the mockings of my Dr Step father, and see a Chinese herbal medicine specialist.
After a week or so of drinking a herbal extract concoction the infection has cleared up... which in its self is impressive.
but i still have what seems to be a constant stream of mucus down the back of my throat and the daily choke where i need to cough it out.

will go back and see if they have any other ideas.
hope to report back soon with good news.

I have done exhaustive research and seen many doctors. I now have it generally under control w/ management such that it does not affect my life and greatest sympathy for others in my condition. My thoughts

(1) Postnasal mucus has 3 sites of origins. The throat, the sinuses and the turbinates. Thick mucus can come from any of the three places - sometimes more than one.

(2) Chronic sinusitis is overdiagnosed. Be skeptical of this diagnosis -- your sinuses will be irritated if you have other problems, but not constantly infected. Get a CT scan to rule it out. If your sinuses are not draining properly, you'll feel sinus pressure (i.e. pain at a SPECIFIC point in your head). If you are inflammed, you might be prescribed longterm antibiotics -- these are panacea superdrugs that will cure everything -- even my allergies! -- but will not identify the root cause. If you have allergies, a sensitive nose or reflux problems, you are back at square one after you finish your course.

(3) Heavy congestion is self perpetuating. Get a neti pot or one of those squeeze bottles and clean out congestion. BEWARE however do not do this when you are sick because you will actually give yourself a sinus infection. 95% useful, 5% dangerous. Take antibiotics if you have an acute sinus infection.

(4) Nose problems are very common but tend to be mild. "Vasomotor rhinitis" is a general term but meaningless as a diagnosis. Non-allergic rhinitis is the sensitive nose that reacts to many things including congestion. Try Astelin and antihistamines. Test yourself for allergies. If they don't work, nose problems are not your root cause.

(5) Throat mucus is thick and prompted by reflux from the stomach -- extremely common (and symptomless -- you won't see heartburn) and can also irritate your nose. Google laryngopharyngeal reflux. This can irritate a sensitive nose and prompt sinus mucus. Use nexium, eat small regular meals and avoid going hungry. Do not eat before bedtime and elevate the head HIGH. Get an ENT to check out your throat. You are in a sense

(6) Food allergies are underdiagnosed. Watch what you eat.

(7) Exacerbating conditions are low humidity (get a hygrometer and test this), and this is anecodctal -- it seems to me -- constantly hacking up the mucus will prompt more of it to appear. Wait for it to fill up and wipe it out w/ the neti.

I've solved I would say 90% of my problem -- still flares up when i get sick. It's beatable. Best of luck,
Alex

Hello I am new here and wanting to email someone who posted on helping with health problems,particulary excessive mucous in the throat.I think the person is Tina.

Please let me know
Thank You

Mavan

All of these symptoms are common in patients with LYME disease. GO to a LYME disease SPECIALIST - I have had this for 10 years and I know that I will most cetainly die from choking on my mucus- don't listen to these D/A doctors- go see a LYME disease SPECIALIST- not a GO or a Internal med guy.

PS If you're a woman....you're screwed. Doctors will not listen to you and don't care about you or your problems.

My 9 year old has experienced this problem for a couple of years, and it got progressively worse in the last year. I took her to our ENT whom I have great faith in, and he immediately diagnosed it as an enlarged adenoid gland, and explained why it has produced many of the exact same results that you all have described and she has experienced. He told me that the only real cure was to have the adenoid removed, which he described as being a not so uncommon surgery. Alternatively, predizone could help. Since she was young, I wanted to rule everything out before going either route, so we went through multiple rounds of endless antibiotics for sinus infections, and, had her seen by both an allergist, and a pulmonary specialist to rule out asthma (and who also checked for cystic fybrosis). Turns out she's allergic to dogs, cats and dust (we only have the latter), and after hearing her gag and cry while hacking up more phlegm today, I've decided to take her for the surgery. It's too painful to see her go through this. Since learning about the adenoid, every doctor I have taken her to has confirmed that her adenoid is definitely enlarged. That said, I am just trying to decide whether to go through with requesting a sleep study, which her pediatrician says, should definitely point to adenoid surgery if she is found to have sleep apnea. I may just go straight for the surgery. I actually found this site while further researching the results people have had from adenoid removal surgery, and was surprised to see that no one had mentioned it here. Just wanted to share, in case this info is something that could be helpful to any of you, as well.

I also have had throat phlegm for 9 year and have gone to ENT specialist and had 2 endoscopy and everything is OK. I also am a snorer and bought a mouth guard which I wear at night.and it stopped my snoring. I had to wear it for a couple of hours through the day to get used to it and noticed that immediately I stopped clearing my throat. So I am thinking that the mouth guard which brings your jaw forward opens the passage way to the throat and lets the mucus get away. Still have a problem during the day and pop in in when it get bad and what a relief. Think about it