For some time I have been couphing up little balls of mucus during the night and when I first wake up. Some one said that they line the throat nomally. I heard that there is a name for them but can't find it anywhere. The fact that these little masses are clear has me thinking this is the start of something worse. I have allergies and have tried several meds but nothing takes this away. Does anyone have a name for these?
%-)

Hello I am having the same issue. Did you find any info? What it is? Or why we get it? I was also curious if you smoke or have smoked?

Janelle

they are tonsil stones

Tonsil stones are solid balls and are whitish or yellowish... Opaque in color. I think the original poster is talking about mucous balls... Jelly-like and transparent/clear

i think i might have the same thing.

i cough out these tiny balls of Phlegm in the morning not a lot may be just a couple.

they are clear or a glassy see through whitish colour and about 1or 2mm in size.

harder than normal phlegm but it's squishy.

Did anyone find out what this is caused by? I have the same thing, plus I always feel like it's more difficult than it should be to breathe. I am always clearing my throat too, especially at night.

I have the same thing but with mine there is blood in the ball and Do you know what it is? 

You probably have a condition called cryptic tonsils. What that means is, your tonsils have deep groves and pits in them that debris get stuck in. It forms into like a soft, usually foul smelling, white plaque ball. This debris will dislodge and come out sometimes when you cough. If you have alot of trouble because of this condition, such as alot of sore throats or throat infections,they'll sometimes take your tonsils out. If it doesn't bother you, then just leave it alone. Eventually, as you get older, it starts to go away. You don't need your tonsils as much and they start to shrink. Opps forgot to say what the white things are actually called tonsiliths

Tonsilloliths. Chronic Cryptic Tonsillitis. There is a lot of discussion of this on the Ears, Nose and Throat Board. They are disgusting and you are not alone. They are a leading reason why adults get tonsillectomies. Your tonsils have little crypts in them where food debris gets caught and bacteria feast on this debris, as well as the cells that your body naturally sheds, and then a tonsillolith/tonsil stone forms. Generally harmless, but they do cause bad breath and in some people, a chronic low-level sore throat. Many people can pop them out of their tonsils by pushing at the tonsil gently with a swab or a sterilized rounded tool.  

I have been having the same thing but my tonsils where taken out when i was 7 in now 22 so this dosent seem right..???

OMGGGGGGGGGGG I HAVE THIS TO!!! THEY COME OUT LIKE LITTLE FIRE BALLS!

AM I GUNNA DIE?

charlie emery

It s NOT tonsiloliths you blip! It s been said 3 times!!! Its little BALLS of MUCUS. not plaque, they are NOT HARD they are SQUISHY and VERY STICKY, and more ARE SEE-THROUGH. Is it so hard to get?

I am getting this too, why does nobody know what they are... I've looked everywhere! 

I am having this problem as well it feek like i always have phlem stuck in my throat! I feel like I have to "hock" all of the time! It gets on my nerves so bad. I drink alot of water it is supposed to "thin" the mucus but it doesn't. I quit smoking 2 years ago shortly there after all of this started! I just want it to stop! But the mucus balls iam coughing up are super thick and sticky "really gross"

Did anyone figure out what the clear mucous balls are? I feel like they restrict my airway and it gets me so nervous for a few minutes thinking I can't breath!