I'm a 23 year old female with a pretty high metabolism and a genetically petite build. I also work out regularly. I just had a total thyroidectomy a week ago and I've started reading all about how people have gained weight from this. I'm just wondering how badly a person like me would be affected by it. I'm also wondering if there is anything significant that I could do from now, to prevent me from gaining too much weight. Thanks.

As I was reading your post, it was as if I was reading about myself. I am 28 and had a total Thyroidectomy two months ago. I have also been very petite and exercised regularly. My only concern after the op was weight gain as I was reading all about this on the Web, and honestly, as long as you eat healthy, excercise as you did before the op, you should not put the weight on-I know because my weight has not changed as yet and my Dr has assured me as long as I am on the right dose (Thyroxine) I will be just fine. I know that you had your procedure before mine, but have you gained weight since?

I read the posts about the concern of weight gain after total thyroidectomy. I am a 34 year old petite female and had a total thyroidectomy almost two months ago. I have actually lost weight since then, maybe due to the whole anxiety of it all, but...my doctor assures me that as long as you are on the correct dosage of synthroid and eat and excercise as you did before, weight gain should not be a problem.

I am a 23 year old female....i have already undergone a partial thyroidectomy where they found my cancer spread to my lymph nodes...so now i have to undergo another surgery to remove them and the other half of my thyroid gland....just what i was trying to avoid!!! i have heard so many horror stories of weight gain post thyroidectomy and would love to hear more assuring news that it wont happen to me!! I am very petite and exercise..weight has never been an issue for me, and it's not something that i want to be an issue...any comments would be appreciated!!

I too was wondering if anyone gained weight. I had my total thyroidectomy 2 weeks ago. I haven't gained weight yet. I was was started on my full replacement dose of synthroid 175 mg. Next week I start my dose of Armour 1/2 grain/Synthroid 125 mg combo. I didn't want to start Armour too soon after surgery ( I wanted to wait a bit for my levels to fall before I took t4/t3.

I'm just curious....now that it has been almost 8 months since your surgery...have you gained any weight??? I have a hemi-thyroidectomy in two days and have the same concern. I am 22, petite build, high metabolism, work out regularly...and I am a female which means I worry about gaining weight!!! How have you been since your surgery?

Hi! I had a partial thyroidectomy about 2 months ago, then a total thyroidectomy completion (this had to be done when the nodule was actually cancer) about a month ago.

Two months ago I weighed 135 lbs (27 years old, 5"3, moderately active), now a month after a total thyroidectomy I weigh 125 lbs. I am not on hormone replacement therapy yet because I need to have the radioiodine pills about a week from now. I am very concerned about weight gain after total thyroidectomy so I have completely altered my diet to less than 2000 calories a day and I now jog on my treadmill 3.5 mph for 30-40 mins, then take an after dinner stroll for 30 mins. I do this every day!

I am not complaining about my weight (still at 125 lbs.), but I sense now that I am not losing any more weight, it has been steady for about 3 weeks now. Hopefully when I start the thyroid pills 2-3 weeks from now I don't have to fight weight off this much.

I am a 39 year old woman who had a total thyroidectomy 5 years ago due to cancer. I wasn't in very good shape then, but have been excercising (sp?) regularly and watching what I eat for the last year. Instead of losing weight, I have GAINED ten pounds. My endocrinologist assures my I am taking the right level of medication, in fact he wants to reduce it. I am really frustrated because I am doing all the right things with no results. The only good news is my cholesterol and blood pressure are low (healthy levels), so at least my insides are healthy, I just hate how I look on the outside. Any body else having similar problems? Any suggestions?

I am currently 3 weeks post op total thyroidectomy. The reason for the procedure was sever hyperthyroidism and Grave's Disease. In the 6 months prior to the surgery waiting for my T3 ( or T4 ) to be at a safe level to do the surgery, I lost 40 pounds effortlessly (have always been overweight) due to my extremely high metabolism. 10 days after my surgery I went to Doctor and had gained 10 pounds! YES 10 POUNDS IN 10 DAYS. Just the day before my husband had made a comment about how much less I've been eating since the surgery. After I got through the tears she informed me that it was normal and I would most definately gain it ALL back since the reason for the loss was the illness. Of course I knew that I would have to eat more wisely from now on but it would have been nice to know I was gonna have to start all over BTW as of today...day 21 i have gained back 19 pounds...So my advice to all is ASK ASK ASK.

I had a total three years ago, and to be honest, the weight gain has been a complete nightmare. I gained 70 lbs within a year and a half. The Synthroid levels I've been on reads like a Roller Coaster ride on my charts. So, I know how you're feeling right now. The most difficult, heart breaking part of this whole experience for me is the weight gain. I find it difficult to accept me the way that I am now.

The well meaning advice that others have given, who ironically, haven't gone through the dramatic side effects of having a partial or a total completed is just that... Well meaning advice.

You will hear from many, eat right, and get plenty of exercise. The real problem lies when you take the right level of Synthroid, eat properly, get plenty of exercise and still gain weight.

You have Hypothyroidism, so weight gain is a given. It will be a fight to lose 5 let alone 10 lbs. Keeping it off will be more of a fight for you or anyone who has had weight gain problems.

People generally lose a few lbs after a partial or total Thyroidectomy it's a given, but once your body rids itself of those extra hormones, you will start packing on the lbs.

There have been those that haven't had a weight gain problem, but those are few and far imbetween.

The best advice that can be given is to find something that works best for you and stick with that. Be warned though.. Your body will get used to your method quickly, so be on your toes, and modify your diet and exercise routine just as soon as you notice your progress slowing down a bit. Keep your body guessing.

If you tend to drop lbs after being put on an adjusted level of Synthroid, take advantage of that and do what it takes to keep that weight off. Once your body gets used to that level, the lbs will start sneaking back on.

Another thing you can do is to find someone or others in your area that have gone through a similar experience. A self made support group may be just what you and others need.

I had a total thyroidectomy 4 years ago and have done nothing but gain weight as well. I was active and ate healthy enough - i've gained almost 100 pounds most of which I attribute to the lowest energy levels I've ever had. If I attempt to exercise, I can't function the next day. 15 minutes on a stationary bike and I can't move the next day. So, yes, someone has had the same issues...

hi there, I hate to say this but I had a total thyroidectomy 3yrs ago and I have gained 2 stone in weight even though I exercise regularly and have a healthy diet I cannot shift any weight whatsoever.Recently I went away for 5 days and I forgot to take thyroxin with me(150 mg daily) and eating and drinking normally I had lost 5 pounds when I came home!What would happen if I didnt take thyroxin long term I dont know.

I am a 27 year old female. I had a total thyroidectomy in February.
I had hyperthyroidism since I was 10, so I'm glad that's over.
But now I learned I have a whole lot of new problems to deal with.
Going into surgery I weighed 121lbs (the most I have ever been), btw I am 5'8. After sugery I obviously lost weight because I foudn it horrible to eat or do anything. I would say that my recovery would have been the worst experience of my life! But now, I weigh 134lbs! This is very horrible, since my entire life I have been a certain weight and look.
Thank god it spread itself evenly, but I no longer fit into any of my pants or skirts from before. I talked to my endo and she said that now I am a 'normal' person and have to watch what I eat. I don't excerise, but I'm not a lazy person, I always have something to do and am always on the move.
I also found that I was unfortunate to discover other health issues that I have never encountered before: Hives have been a huge problem for me for the last 3 months. I didn't know what caused them. I went to my allergy doc and he told me to stay away from foods, which I did. But my allergy still came back and was very very severe. I also felt depressed and really not like myself at all. I feel that after the surgery I have become a completely different person. A NORMAL person. Nothing I have been used to my entire life.
My advice to everyone.....be your own doctor and do research about symptoms you have. If you feel different or something is wrong, it probably is. Request bloodwork when YOU feel you need to. My experience with doctors is not a good one. I seem to be in the category of that 1% that always has the bad reaction. I wish everyone luck and healthy future. Keep posting your questions and ofcourse your responses. I find them very useful.

Marf

I'm 25 and had a total t. about a year ago. I too gained around 30 Ibs since then. And what's more I've had a too high dose of the hormone all this time - they lowered it three times so far. I exercise every day (min 60 mins, max 2h&30mins) and eat healthy. Now what I don't get and was hoping some of you might shed some light on is this: if you're hypertheroid one of the symptoms can be weight loss, right? So if you're taking too much of the hormone aren't you in a way hyper? And why do you then gain weight? My doctor (they're all so brilliant and attentive aren't they 8-| ) still continues claiming that my thyroid (or lack there of;) is not to blame for this weight gain...or the fatigue that's been killin' me for the past year. When I say that there are millions of people eg online who have similar problems he just starts rolling his eyes. I don't get some doctors. Aren't they here to help us? Awz, I symphatize with all of you. And if anyone can answer my question I'd be very grateful. Tnx. Peace:).

I too am 39 years old and I too have gained 13 pounds more than I have ever weighed. I am full time in the military and feel this is going to affect my career. I am presently over weight to military standard and that will cause problems for me. I have to exercise to maintain the military standard on my APFT. Are the any suggestions on how to loose the additional 13 pounds I must get rid of?