I am 50 years old. I thought manapause had come since I have already gone through irregular periods and finally no actual period at all for 1 year. Other than occasional pink spotting for a day or so I thought the periods had gone. I never had night sweats or hot flashes or even vaginal dryness. In fact I had quite the opposite where it would be necessary to wear a panty liner at all times because of the increased clear vaginal secretions and sometimes a pink tinged secreation. Last week I experienced tender breasts as if a period would be coming and low and behold the bleeding began. It's bright red and enough to chage a full pad a few times a day. Is this the end of the menstral cycle or is this something more serious? Should one be examined while flowing or should the exam wait until the flow stops? Thanks

Women experience menopausal symptoms differently. They vary from mild to severe symptoms and I believe you were lucky not to experience night sweats and hot flushes as I believe these are the most uncomfortable symptoms which might occur. Especially when during hot summer days you experience hot flashes, these last shortly but give you redness of the head and neck in addition to hot summer temperature and being already warm. I hope you won’t experience these yourself.
As the matter of the vaginal bleeding, this is something you should call your doctor about. The explanation I found myself for this problem is due to the decline of estrogen and thus the lining of the vagina becomes less elastic and thin which could cause the inflammation of the vaginal tissue and this could cause bleeding then. But if you happen to be still sexually active, you could have got some injury which could cause you bleeding as well.
However, there are some other causes for vaginal bleeding after menopause, such as fibroid tumors, hormonal imbalance or there could even be some benign growths in the uterus lining. You have it checked anyways.

Thanks too for this info.