Up until I was 40, my periods came like clockwork. However, they then started to get very sporadic, and a lot lighter. Last year, after extensive bloodwork (which showed my body was still making estrogen), and transvaginal ultrasounds, my ob/gyn put me on Medroxyprogesterone (10 days per month, every other month), telling me it should bring on a "gusher". I took it for three months over a six month period and never got my period once. In the meantime, very severe hot flashes started during the day and eventually started happening at night I also started getting acne, which I've never had This past Monday, I went to my ob/gyn again, as he told me to return if the Medroxyprogesterone did not bring on a period, and he again, drew blood. He called me yesterday morning to tell me that indeed my blood results showed that I was in menopause. He said it is rare, but not unheard of. He put me on a low-dose birth control pill as well as told me to take black cohosh supplements for my hot flashes. My ob/gyn is phenomenal. He really listened to my concerns and together we were able to come to the conclusion that I was in menopause. Some background info - I just turned 44, I've never had any pregnancies and have never been on The Pill, before he prescribed it yesterday. Dana Vigilante, Nutley, NJ

Hi, I too am 44 and feel that I am peri-menopausal.  My dr. kept telling me I was too young but two years ago I had night sweats.  I am taking the black cohosh too.  If you were making estrogen, why did the dr. put you on those meds. to have a gusher?  Are you having periods now? And what is important about the low does birth control pill?  Also, did you get your period early.  I was 1 month shy of being 11 years old.  I think the earlier you start menstruating, the sooner you have menopause?

soar for sure wrote:

Although my body was supposedly making estrogen, I wasn't having an actual period, and I needed to shed uterine lining, which the transvaginal ultrasound revealed I had. However, the medroxyprogesterone did not bring on any type of period at all. Now, my bloodwork shows that my body is not making estrogen at all. I'm on the lowdose birth control to replace the estrogen in my body. I started my period when I was 13. I have not had a period in almost one year

Dana Vigilante wrote:

soar for sure wrote:

Wow! And now you have signs of menopause, hot flashes? I am taking black cohosh which I found helped with the night sweats. I need to also take more flax in my diet, ground by myself. This winter I've been in short sleeves and find that I'm usually hot and get hot when I've eaten.? Not sure what that is all about but everyone is always asking me "Aren't you cold?" I think I am going to ask for a blood test to tell me what is going on. What happens if we don't replace the estrogen in our bodies? Is this the same as hormone replacement therapy?